Thread: Helicobacter pylori

Helicobacter pylori

When i first found this site in December 2008, it was because Des Gibbons told me he did fellrunning, and i knew nothing of fellrunning, so i found this site on google and became interested in maybe running myself, the fact i was unfit and overweight did not come into it, you all made it sound so appealing i was willing to give it a go. After going to a few races i was hooked.

So, with my friend Andy i started to learn to jog/run, and met a friend on here who also went to Heaton Park with me a couple of times, the rest of the times i went to Heaton Park on my own, and i really did try and give it a go, then i got ill, because each time i tried to run, i would end up in agony, first it was my legs, then my stomach, then i even had trouble with my heart.

Then, something i guess i was above ever getting i got depressed, yes, i guess i never thought i could because i have always seen life as it comes, rather than being fearful of it.

Then in May i ended up in Hospital, was there for a week, because of the stomach pain. After every type of tests known to medical science, it was confirmed that i had a tear in my stomach lining that is caused by "Helicobacter pylori" which is a bacterium in the stomach, that basically eats the stomach lining, so when i was trying to run, the stomach was creating a chemical, that caused a war in my stomach, and because of the tear in the stomach, it was like pouring acid in open wounds, but wounds that are always moist, and cannot dry out.

Helicobacter pylori is the suspect for ulcers, i am telling you this because Al sent me an email, and i thought maybe this post might help someone else, if you have got symptoms after running that go on longer than the normal stitch, then ask your doctor to do a blood test to test for Helicobacter pylori, because it can be treated, but if left can cause so many illnesses.

I now have kidney infection/stones, because of the problems with the stomach, i am always in pain, feel really fed up with it, and would love to feel healthy and be able to run.

In July i was suppose to do my 5k, for charity, it had to be postpones until the August, because of how much pain i was in, i was told by doctors not to do it, as i had a suspected bleeding ulcer, i did the 5k, but i had to walk it, even that killed me, i should not have done it, but i was determined not to let anyone down who had sponsored me.

Symptoms of Helicobacter pylori are on this website.

http://www.helico.com/faq_symptoms.html

I don't plan to give up, when i feel better, i will try my best to get through that 5k barrier.

Thanks for the advice on this site, for the fun times, the laughs, and the friendships.
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 26-11-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Re: Helicobacter pylori

Stick at it NB you will get there in the end

Best wishes

Trog
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Ever got your name under every single last post in a given moment. This is my momentary monopoly
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

A friend of mine had this. He was doing some bike event (the polaris??) and started coughing up blood.

The trouble is a lot of the symptoms of having the infection (except coughing up blood) seem pretty trivial. But quite a lot of people die from bleeding ulcers caused by it.

Incidentally, the story behind the discovery of Helicobacter pylori is pretty interesting. For years it was considered that no microbe could live in the acidic environment of the stomach and that ulcers were just something that happened. The guys who invented the test for H. pylori won the Nobel prize. One of them infected himself to show it was infectious, and then cured himself to show it could be done.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...-fashi/living/

My wife had stomach problems for over a year and suspected she had this. The gp disagreed and tried various things until she insisted on a test. A few weeks later after the correct treatment was given she was cured and has had no further problems. It's a simple test and it is worth insisting even if your doctor is reluctant. Correct diagnosis earlier would have saved my other half a lot of discomfort and concern.

My dad suffered with stomach aches for years until he was diagnosed with it.

When i mentioned to him i was having stomach pains he told me to get tested as apparently it is heradity.

I was tested and did have it but it was soon cleared up folowing a two week course of tablets about four different sorts if i remeber rightly .

I have been fine since so if in doubt get down to the docs.