Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lack of sleep

Re: lack of sleep

I wonder (speaking as an occassional insomniac) if there is a relationship between stress and lack of sleep and that actually it is a combination of the effects of stress and mental weariness that may effect running performance in some (but not all-look at Joss Naylor for heaven's sake! who is reputedly able to survive on very little sleep at all)...i think it definately effects my running....but it is probably highly variable
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

it's 'energy' that suffers from lack of sleep isn't it

not sure if there's a physiological definition of 'energy'

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I suspect though there is something about sleep that is physically more regenerative than just 'rest'.

Because you never really just rest do you: you twist and turn or make cups of tea or sit in a chair and read - all of which takes physical energy or tension.

It wouldn't surprise me if sleep is substantially more physically restorative than waking rest - because the muscles are in a state of total relaxation for a start-off.

Glad to be shown otherwise though - will make me feel better about my sleepless nights!
    I think for a lot of people it may be true that if they cannot sleep they may be tossing and turning etc and therefore not truely resting.

However, as someone well used to my insomnia I am very good at true rest. I taught myself relaxation techniques to remove all tension from my body. I can lie there all night my body completely at rest, not moving, eyes shut, I wouldn't even respond to you if you spoke to me but I am completely conscious with my brain working overtime. I guess I've learnt a form of deep relaxation.

So when I have those nights my body really is rested it's just my brain that is tired. When the brain is tired it finds it harder to concentrate and perform tasks and that is probably why people feel fatigued becuase they can't focus their tired mind.

Gladly the older I get the less I suffer from insomnia as I have my little routines I follow. However, when I get it it can last for days and so my little deep relaxation techniques get me through it as well as I can

Hi freckle
    I faced same problem in last month now i am okay. I use to relaxation process when i suffered from sleeping problem. This process help you to get good sleep and reduce stress. If you want to know about this process just go to search in google site. You will find more about relaxation process.