Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stud Marks on the Summits

Re: Stud Marks on the Summits

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Copies can still be found in second hand book shops at reasonable prices.

Unfortunately a feeding frenzy on Ebay has pushed the price up to over £100. The record price was £204.99 in January 2007 (14 bids).
    I was talking about the book 2 years ago as a result of posts on here.
    A mate of mine gave me a copy as a birthday present, I asked him many months later how much he splashed out on me.......he said "you're not that good a mate, I picked it up cheap at a second hand bookshop!!!!"
    (i'm guessing £10 - 20 ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    SMOTS keeps coming up for discussion, I believe I am right in thinking that there are no copyright issues with this book anymore so why not PDF a copy and release it on the Forum.

There would be no issue with genuine collectors as they are only interested in unread quality books and most of the 1800 copies will have been well thumbed. For those amateur collectors it would still be a very limited edition but, for 'average fellrunner' who is interested in all the details etc it would be a goldmine.

Any thoughts?
    I think thats a fantastic idea. I would happily do the copying and email anyone the PDF. Trouble is, I don't have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    I was talking about the book 2 years ago as a result of posts on here.
    A mate of mine gave me a copy as a birthday present, I asked him many months later how much he splashed out on me.......he said "you're not that good a mate, I picked it up cheap at a second hand bookshop!!!!"
    (i'm guessing £10 - 20 ish)
    Nee Bother, fancy lending me your copy so I can do the deed ?

To my knowledge, and that of the FRA Committee, Bill Smith has NOT given up his 1985 copyright to Stud Marks on the Summits.

I suggest if he were to do so it would be to the FRA to whom he allocated some of the "profit" from his book (and also some charities) and who underwrote its publication.

And if he were to reallocate the copyright to the FRA I suggest the FRA would wish to continue to ensure his wonderful work is treated with the respect it deserves.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-02-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    SMOTS keeps coming up for discussion, I believe I am right in thinking that there are no copyright issues with this book anymore so why not PDF a copy and release it on the Forum.

There would be no issue with genuine collectors as they are only interested in unread quality books and most of the 1800 copies will have been well thumbed. For those amateur collectors it would still be a very limited edition but, for 'average fellrunner' who is interested in all the details etc it would be a goldmine.

Any thoughts?
    Makes sence really.

If the book was still in print then i could undertstand people being against it, but since the chance of any of us getting our hands on one unless we want to splash the cash is nil.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    To my knowledge, and that of the FRA Committee, Bill Smith has NOT given up his 1985 copyright to Stud Marks on the Summits.

I suggest if he were to do so it would be to the FRA to whom he allocated some of the "profit" from his book (and also some charities) and who underwrote its publication.

And if he were to reallocate the copyright to the FRA I suggest the FRA would wish to continue to ensure his wonderful work is treated with the respect it deserves.
    Well, lots of us would like a copy. It would be great if the FRA were to take up the challenge. I seem to remember a while ago the FRA looking for suggestions for the BIG aniversary coming up. Cheep reprints of SMOTS would do it. And a car sticker of corse

undercover moderator

...And if he were to reallocate the copyright to the FRA I suggest the FRA would wish to continue to ensure his wonderful work is treated with the respect it deserves.
    Surely the respect it deserves is to give it the widest readership possible?

Anyone can read it. Libraries have it, everyone must know someone who knows someone who has it.There are 1800 copies around.

This thread and similar threads over the years are about possession, not about actually reading it. I refer to my copy and I did so last week- but most people who pursue it will never read it because the text finishes in 1981, ie almost 30 years ago.

Instead people just want to "own" it so they can say they have a copy.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Anyone can read it. Libraries have it, everyone must know someone who knows someone who has it.There are 1800 copies around.

This thread and similar threads over the years are about possession, not about actually reading it. I refer to my copy and I did so last week- but most people who pursue it will never read it because the text finishes in 1981, ie almost 30 years ago.

I've tried three of the local libaries. they all show it in their reference section but non have it, all stolen not by runners I hope. I believe Sheffield central Libary have a copy but it's hard to get your hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Surely the respect it deserves is to give it the widest readership possible?
    Agreed

Anyone can read it. Libraries have it,

Afraid non of my local libraries have it Graham. I'm not really bothered about owning a copy (althought it would be nice to have). I just want to read it to see what all the fuss is about. Learn a bit more about the history of the sport. Feet in the clouds referes to it, but, thats all us newbies have.

I agree entirely.

Not sure whether there was a contract signed before publication - probably not - but Bill is the copyright holder and all decisions should be his.

With many book contracts, the copyright returns to the author around two years after a book becomes 'out of print'. The author is then free (as long as he has informed the publishers in writing) to make any decision about republication, etc.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX