Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stud Marks on the Summits

undercover moderator

Re: Stud Marks on the Summits

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    everyone must know someone who knows someone who has it.
    Three degrees of stud marks?

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
    I agree entirely.

Not sure whether there was a contract signed before publication - probably not - but Bill is the copyright holder and all decisions should be his.

With many book contracts, the copyright returns to the author around two years after a book becomes 'out of print'. The author is then free (as long as he has informed the publishers in writing) to make any decision about republication, etc.

Final posting:

First: Bill is the co-publisher. He is the "S" in SKG Publications who published the book.

Last: At my request Bill has just written a lovely essay for the forthcoming 40 page Supplement, Celebration: 40 years of the FRA, which will appear with the next Fellrunner and, as a mark of respect, he was the only writer invited to submit a piece.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Final posting:

First: Bill is the co-publisher. He is the "S" in SKG Publications who published the book.

Last: At my request Bill has just written a lovely essay for the forthcoming 40 page Supplement, Celebration: 40 years of the FRA, which will appear with the next Fellrunner and, as a mark of respect, he was the only writer invited to submit a piece.
    good work Graham

Lola

Graham,
    I certainly meant no disrespect - far from it. My idea was simply to bring the text to a wider audience, something which the nacent FRA library also seeks to achieve. Clearly there are ownership issues which must be considered but, surely they must be up for consideration; if we don't then in time SMOTS will become the fellrunning equivalent of the Tablets of Stone, read only by an older generation and talked of in reverential whispers.

I too will bow out now, genuinely sorry if I upset anybody.

I know its been discussed before but perhaps a reprint would be viable? Acepting its 30 years old there are a lot more fell runners now than there were 30 years ago (FRA Membership numbers? - not sure, but if it was viable to print 1800 I suspect a lot more than that would sell this time). I dont think this would devalue the original either, I think that it that would remain rare and valuable, but I dont think owners of the original want or have a copy for what its 'worth' - they want it for its intrinsic value in itself and the printing of a new 'copy' probably wouldn't affect that.

Bill Smith came to help me at The Windmills Whizz a week or so back. We had a long natter and I brought up the subject of SMOTS and the interest and banter it generates on this Forum.

He told me that he has already been asked by a member of the FRA committee about whether he would agree to the book being re-published, in whatever format - be it a reprint or simply put on the web as pdf's etc. and the upshot is, he doesn't have a problem with it.

This is the rub...

I suggested that it is an old out-of-date tome, though a historical gem, but even so, might just need an update. He told me that he would begin work straight away on bringing it up to date.

discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by stringman View Post
    Bill Smith came to help me at The Windmills Whizz a week or so back. We had a long natter and I brought up the subject of SMOTS and the interest and banter it generates on this Forum.

He told me that he has already been asked by a member of the FRA committee about whether he would agree to the book being re-published, in whatever format - be it a reprint or simply put on the web as pdf's etc. and the upshot is, he doesn't have a problem with it.

This is the rub...

I suggested that it is an old out-of-date tome, though a historical gem, but even so, might just need an update. He told me that he would begin work straight away on bringing it up to date.

discuss...
    I think I would like to read the original version first, never having read it myself. I would like to own the book but if that's not possible then a PDF file would be great.
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by stringman View Post

discuss...
    Excellent. Can I put in my order for SMOTS2 now please. Advance sales are most welcome I assume.

Wonder how long it will take him !!!
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I think I would like to read the original version first, never having read it myself. I would like to own the book but if that's not possible then a PDF file would be great.
    Copies are always available to buy. There are 1800 copies around.

I know of at least two potential sellers but they would expect £120-£130 because that is the going rate now and the price can only go up.

I wonder how many copies there are in the public library system. Rather surprisingly, Hampshire has one. When I borrowed it I noticed that it had been loaned as far afield as Devon and Inverness, so I guess there aren't many.