Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: BGR record is it beatable?

Re: BGR record is it beatable?

The "certain beauty" of a local lad holding local records is a specious line of thought, seeming to imply a better class of record holder just because he lived, worked and trained locally.

B Bland said "you are nowt, if you can't win at home" but I don't think that implies you are better than someone who wins 'away records'.

The record holder deserves his position because he holds the record not because he is a local lad.

Is Jon Broxap's Munros record worth less because he didn't live and work in the area, surely not?

Ironically, like Joss in Wasdale, there was less recognition in Borrowdale of Billy's achievements. Billy's achievements stand on their own merit, they are no greater because he was a local lad.

Quote Originally Posted by FellShoeShuffler View Post
    they are no greater because he was a local lad.
    Quite. I didn't suggest that Billy's achievement was greater for that reason.

I used the word "resonance".

By resonance, I meant that for me the bits of his story seem to fit together in a way that gives me a tingle down my spine.

I'd probably get that same tingle if another local fell runner ever beat the record.

I doubt I'd get it if Jornet ever came to town and did his stuff over the BG course.

That wouldn't affect the quality of his achievement of course; just my reaction to it. (And who cares about that apart from me.)

If anyone beats Billy's time, however they do it (and I hope they use the same ground rules), it will be an incredible run.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post

Let's assume Snr Jornet was interested and did to the BG speed record what he did to the Tahoe Rim Trial, by turning up and being paced round with no prior knowledge of the route.

Surely an erudite scholar, such as Graham, should have the ability to construct a sentence which does not leave people quandering his meaning?

Anyway BGSec, I see your point. People talk about that when refering to my Carneddau race record which has stood for years (2 - so years is gramatically correct!), but I accept that some day some Johhny Foreigner will come over from Chester or Bangor and get it :-) Records are there to be broken.

But I disagree. In many ways I'd like to see Kilian have a go so UK runners can be a bit more appreciative of just how good this guy is. If he gets nowhere near the record then it further demonstrates just how good Billy was. I think people are very dismissive of this mans ability. 'Kilians Quest' is happening because people know this man is unique. He's not just breaking records, he's breaking them almost back to back whilst winning shorter races. Not disimilar to the very qualities shown by BB when he broke the BGR record. Many experienced runners, top class runners, wrote off his chances of winning Siera Zianal, a race of just over 2:30 duration, yet he won. In the same year he won many ultra's, including comfortably winning the UTMB, a race of over 20 hrs.

He's good, bloody good, and deserves a bit more respect than the 'not in my lifetime' comment from Graham.

We've already seen people on this thread dismiss him because he couldn't descend, yet they've never seen the man descend.

Jornet's times are quite exceptional.

There are other major talents about.

One is Geoff Roes of Juneau, Alaska.

He has been breaking records all year in 50 and 100 mile races in the US.

His blog is worth a read:

http://akrunning.blogspot.com/

Fumbling Towards Endurance indeed.

Looks to me like the guy has found it.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

I know, it's just KJ is the one who is specifically targeting long standing records and is comfortable in the mountains. If he did look at the UK which records would you suggest?

I don't think breaking the Ramsay would have a big impact, but breaking the BGR or the 3000ers would. For me they are the 2 standout records. CD admits himself his is breakable because he slowed a lot (for him) later on. If you compare the male and female record schedules you'll see that by the latter rounds the times are not so different.

I think it comes down to how much the likes of Killian want to take on records like the BG. I think we all ask ourselves how much we want it (on different levels) if it is enough most achieve the goal. I think if Killian wanted the BG record enough he could overcome the obvious hurdles, of support and recces and get quite close to it. I personally think he would get very close to the record. But it would probably be a big time commitment for him.

Well, it looks like Killian is the chosen one for the BGR attempt then?

In my humble opinion, it'd have to be someone like him if it's gonna go. I don't see any british runners with either the talent or the hunger to break a: the BGR record, or b: Wasdale record, which in my view is just as impressive an achievement. Been a champs race a few times and no ones been within about 15 minutes of it have they?

Simon Booth nearly had Borrowdale, shame for him he didn't get it. Would have been a nice aside to his 10(?) wins.

Ladies record could go, seems like the boundaries are been pushed more in womens races, especially the long ones, compared to the mens. Wasdale broken twice in recent years, maybe the men are just content with winning races rather than doing it quickly (reletively speaking, they're all miles faster than i could ever hope to be). Be nice to see some of the real classic records go, so we could say we raced against some of the true legends, Holmsey is the only one of the current crop i'd consider for that mantle but again a lot of that is down to volume of victories. Jebby is heading that way but his talent screams for a top level record. Mind you, the skyrunning malarky were a top triumph t'other year.

So I the liberty of dropping Kilian a line, he responded:

"Wow, I did't know this record, but is really impresive...I'll keep it in mind...

Thanks and the best,

Kilian Jornet Burgada"