View Poll Results: What should be earliest date?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as the Calendar is published (a la Langdale)

50 100.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on pre-entries:

Views on pre-entries:

Prompted by discussion on other threads re pre-entered 'no-shows' at races such as Langdale I thought it time for a poll on views on pre-entries, specifically the timing.
    Last edited by Multiterrainer; 16-11-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Re: Views on pre-entries:

I've voted for as soon as the calendar is published but in an ideal world I would prefer no pre-entries - just turn up and run. However organisers need to know they can cope with the numbers turning up - parking, food, marshalls, environment etc, in some cases vet experience and I accept that for this reason some races need to limit numbers and can not justifiably risk too many people turning up for the course or facilities to cope with. If the organiser is happy to take entries in January I am happy to send him or her my cheque, and if I enter I will turn up and race almost without exception (to the best of my recollection I've only missed a couple of pre-entries in over 20 years, much longer if you count the dark side of running on the roads. From my perspective I am prepared to make that commitment. My circumstances have changed and it is now easier for me to do races but I previously worked shifts and also had to do call - I am sure plenty of others are in this position and it can be very difficult to take a day off at a weekend (for example in the middle of a week of nights) with only a couple of months notice, sometimes you cant even do it six months ahead, or at least you couldn't where I worked depending on who else was off, if anyone would cover for you etc. If someone has set their target as Wasdale for example, and gone to great lengths to arrange a day off for it, its a real shame if you find out two months before that your entry hasn't been accepted. I no longer have to work shifts but I think early pre-entries are still useful - I have booked a holiday next August - I am leaving after Borrowdale, doing the Ben (I hope) while I am away and coming home in time for Three Shires. No problem with 3 Shires but I sincerely hope I get in Borrowdale and the Ben, but if I knew in advance that I wasn't in either I might time my holiday differently.

No idea so i'm not going to muddy the results by voting
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I had real strong intentions of doing Langdale. Not becuase it was a Champs counter, but to complete a Lakeland Classics Series.

I did Duddon to start, but realised that I wasn't ready to do Ennerdale 1 week later and so dropped out a that stage.

I still intended to do Langdale - but it ended up clashing with the first Mid Lancs XC and my co team manager was having a knee op - so I pulled out.

But I did pass on my number to the organisers and allow another runner to take part and I also asked them to donate my entry fee to the Mountain Rescue, which they did.

I think 2 months prior is enough - and even for such as a PPP, it then also allows the appropriate qualification to be gained.

Don't get me going!!

I think that the current trend to open the books on next year's fell races as early as September and October is plain stupid - especially if it's coupled with a feeding frenzy on this forum whereby the start list is cut and pasted into a thread in an attempt to make people enter - "before it's too late".

(I believe it's fashionable to say FFS or LOL at this point, but I don't know what they mean, lol.)

The result is predictable - races fill too fast, people drop out as events overtake their early bookings and organisers end up with twice as much work to do as they would have had with a reasonable pre-entry date.

And I personally reckon that any race that is full before the FRA Calendar is published should not be allowed to be an official FRA Race.

So there!
    Last edited by Rudolph Hooker; 22-11-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph Hooker View Post
    Don't get me going!!

I think that the current trend to open the books on next year's fell races as early as Spetember and October is plain stupid - especially if it's coupled with a feeding frenzy on this forum whereby the start list is cut and pasted into a thread in an attempt to make people enter - "before it's too late".

(I believe it's fashionable to say FFS or LOL at this point, but I don't know what they mean, lol.)

The result is predictable - races fill too fast, people drop out as events overtake their early bookings and organisers end up with twice as much work to do as they would have had with a reasonable pre-entry date.

And I personally reckon that any race that is full before the FRA Calendar is published should not be allowed to be an official FRA Race.

So there!

exactly

now were is my skyline entry

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I'm pre-entering Saturday's Tour on Thursday. Personally I think this is too far in advance of the race.

But it does give me a discount on the entry fee.

Devil. Deep blue sea.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 17-11-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I voted for 2 months before, because I feel this gives ample time to get entered, planning for RO, and people time to decide whether they are going to do it, and therefore train up for it.

I'm not up to speed with this issue in fell running, but it pisses me off completely with road running. I want to do a flat, fast Half Marathon in February/March time (What has happened to the Wrexham Half btw?) and I'm left with only a few to chose from, the most likely candidate is Wilmslow (Given that Wrexham seems to have vanished) But I only want to enter it if I'm going to be fit, which I won't be sure of until 4 weeks or less before hand. But it will be full way before that. What's a chap to do?

I voted for the 2 months option as I think it's the best of the three options.

However, it's probably different for different races. For a race like Ennerdale, I would need about 3-4 months to train for this, and this should maybe be reflected in the pre-entry time - I'm not going to train if I don't get in.

On the other hand, shorter races don't require the same training time, so a pre-entry time of 1-2 months seems very sensible.