Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore Hip/Hips

Sore Hip/Hips

Anybody else suffer from this? comes on after running and hangs round a few days, been carrying on regardless just lately but adding this to a foot injury I think Im gonna take a few weeks off. Would love to go and see a physio but being a poor student and a very poor student at that two weeks from the end of term, I just cant afford to. Pains on the outside of hip directly on the bony projection feels like a sore stinging pain whenever I move my leg. Ive been Icicng it but it wont shift any thoughts welcome, IM going to see the doctor but thats normally no use at all instructions to rest and take pain killers is all they ever say
    Cheers Saul

Re: Sore Hip/Hips

Quote Originally Posted by SLovatt View Post
    Anybody else suffer from this? comes on after running and hangs round a few days, been carrying on regardless just lately but adding this to a foot injury I think Im gonna take a few weeks off. Would love to go and see a physio but being a poor student and a very poor student at that two weeks from the end of term, I just cant afford to. Pains on the outside of hip directly on the bony projection feels like a sore stinging pain whenever I move my leg. Ive been Icicng it but it wont shift any thoughts welcome, IM going to see the doctor but thats normally no use at all instructions to rest and take pain killers is all they ever say
    Cheers Saul
    This is only a guess but it sounds like you may have damaged your Tensor muscle. The good scenario is that you've pulled the muscle, the bad one is that you've damaged the collagen that attatches it to the bone in which case it'll take a few months to fully recover. Keep performing the 'leg under' ITB stretch nice and gently to stop it healing tightly, i'd also support your idea of seeing a medical professional but i found sports physios to be better than docs although they do cost money.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I'd bite the bullet and get it checked out. Loads of different things it could be.

When I got hip pain at the beginning of the year I was diagnosed with hip bursitis, which can become chronic if you keep running through it. Had to have injections and take most of this year off sport (and quit my Ironman attmeot ) and I still get pain sometimes.

Hope it isn't that. It's pain in the butt (...well hip actually )

Best of

Pains on the outside of hip directly on the bony projection feels like a sore stinging pain whenever I move my leg.
    I had something similar earlier on in the year, and still have a bit of a niggle now and again.

I got 28 days of Anti-inflammatory drugs from the Doctor and had an x-ray which failed to find anything.

I find it is aggravated by poor posture when sitting for long periods. Fast road runs really bring it on so I don’t do them anymore.

I also find going too far on even surfaces doesn’t help either, I have done a 90 min run on an old railway line this morning and can feel it nagging a bit, whereas on Sunday a race over rough ground caused no problem.
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

yeah I find anything fast or with a longer stride realy sets it off, after a bit of googling it does seem like a hip bursa. Only up side is I suppose its the right time of year to take some time off could be back training in january with three months before racing. Did cycling irritate yours in anyway?

Sadly i have not had time to cycle this year
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

I too am suffering in silence with my sore hip. (silent cause i dont want to admit it's there).

The pain comes on like flicking a switch and goes just as quick. It can be run through but some mornings I have found myself limping quite bad. I now have pain in my right butt cheek at the top of my buttocks which hurts to touch with slight pressure.

I think that its a Hip Bursitis, and the only the cure is good old rest I guess.

I hope that it drifts away on its own but will probably have to fork out to see a sports physio soon.

Could do without the pain though with BG next year.

Here's hoping.

Cheers Saul
    it one of many things each with it's own treatment. I would see physio, Check with your local hospital or look up sports clinic, you may find you have a local NHS sit a wait clinic.

I had some thing similar earlier this year, sharp pain on the joint of the hip/femur. I treated it with ice etc for 4 weeks before going to a phtsio who told me it was a trapped nerve, he did a bit of work and told me to push my thumb in hard or get a golf ball and roll it hard by the joint. I bruised the area but 6 days later all gone and nothing back since.

but with all injuries don't second guess it. isn't £30 worth it to find out what it is, it may take weeks-Months to heal with out the correct treatment.

Yeah Im going to go and see a physio over The next few weeks, small price to me to know once and for all, the only reason I'm reading internet diagnosis or hearing similar stories is I suppose Id like to read "Oh yeah the stinging hip, I had that ran through it and it just went away", Haha, guess Ill see what happens, cheers.

I thought mine was bursitis. Hurts in the hip/buttock particularly when I stride out. Twinges in hamstrings, groin and sometimes bit of low back pain. Unresponsive to physio(Duncan Mason), manipulation (Osteopath) icing and stretching exercises (given by both). An MRI scan showed no abnormality in the soft tissues, and, surprisingly after 50 years of running, normal hip joint and lower lumbar spine. The only finding that might be causing the pain was "mild degenerative changes of the sacro-ileac joints with minimal subchondral oedema of the third sacral side"
    Anyone any ideas to treat it? May need referral to an orthopoedic surgeon.