Thread: BGR w/o training on course

BGR w/o training on course

Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum whilst doing some research on the Bob Graham round. Probably like many around here, I'd love to do the BGR one day.

My problem is I can't train on the route at all as I live in in Australia...does anybody know of people successfully completing the round without being able to train on the course at all and any resources that might help somebody attempting this? I'm guessing navigation, particularly at night, is the biggest obstacle (well, that and the small matter of a hill or two).

Re: BGR w/o training on course

I don't know of any offhand, Roger Baumeister maybe, but I don't see why not, though you will need pacers and support who are familiar with the route to give you a decent chance.

A reasonable amount of miles at a steady pace plus around 3000m of ascent and descent per week should see you in shape. Don't underestimate the mental aspect, you really have to want to do it, nor the logistics. Either can scupper an attempt.

Check http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/

Super Moderator

Sounds a good challenge PAF!

More info on Bob's website at

www.bobwightman.co.uk
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Bill Edwards made a succesful completion in 2008 having been based in NZ since 2001. Bill was familiar with the Lakes before he moved to NZ but in the lead up to his round he did no recces or training in the Lakes. He was however able to draw on the support and organisation of many experienced UK based runners. In particular, he started as part of a joint attempt with Mark Chapman who had sorted all the logistics etc. for him.

Thanks for the feedback and the links. So basically it seems its not too stupid idea, but I'll need to get some knowledgeable help from experienced guys over there.

I grew up in NE England so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the area, but going there for some walks as a kid doesn't really give me sufficient experience to be navigating through the tricky sections at night I suspect.

And yes, I definitely know there'll be a tough mental aspect to it. I've done a few 100km trail races out here and plan on doing some 24h rogaines etc so I'm hoping that will all get me in good shape both mentally and physically. I'll just be hoping for a mild day...this Australian weather has softened me up (20c here today and I've seen people wearing scarves and hats!).

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    20c here today and I've seen people wearing scarves and hats!.
    Brr, sounds a bit parky!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk