Re: Ban Fox Hunting, it's barb

just spluttered my brew out
    ROFLMAO
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

The hens have my vote.

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Ooooooo ooooooooooo can we all have a right proper rant about whether we support the ban or not?

Lola

OK Al, since its mostly you and I this afternoon:

We should actively outlaw a nasty, brutal and inefficient form of slaughter that is really nothing more than a Middleclass hobby. That the various Police forces around the country have conived in these types of events for so long is as sad as it is reprehensible (rather like my spelling). Why have there been no/few prosecutions since the ban yet there is video evidence of hunting continuing? Hunt sabateurs were targetted by the police, why not illegal hunters?

Do ask if my views appeared unclear in some way,

Hugs,

Hmmmm good point.

But foxes are vermin and foxes kill chickens and lambs etc. A fox once killed all our hens! - which means im biased and hate the things.

Now fair enough thats life...they need to eat something.....but people kill bears and wolfs in America for getting too close to people so why is it different.

I see that fox hunting in itself is rather a yuppie sport and yes its cruel on the fox...but banning it just means that foxes are vertually not being controlled what so ever. Shooting them means that you have to find them first...wheras if you head out on the hunt your more likely to find one.

Lola

I'm with you that there could be an argument for culling numbers - maybe.
    Absolutely cannot agree that because people kill wolves and bears its OK to kill foxes, what next, kittens?
    The 'flushing out' argument also fails me because if you imagine the cost of maintaining a stables and pack all year round just to kill a few foxes it would be cheaper to trap all the foxes and send them on long 4* paid holidays abroad! It would certainly be cheaper and far more efficient to hire a bloke with a gun.
    My real gripe (aside from killing indescriminate numbers of wild creatures) is that chasing a mother across miles of countryside with packs of dogs and then literally ripping her limb from limb whilst knowingly letting her children starve to death or die of exposure is not civilised, it is certainly not my idea of sport.

Sorry about your chickens,

xx

Well they are not humans, they are vermin. Culling is the only way.

Agreed the hunting method is fairly barbaric, and I'd love to see them stop the posh lot from trotting around like they run the country.

Hunt to control/food, not for sport is where I stand.

You're a bunch of inverted snobs - and the only reason why the Labour Party tried to bring in a ban was to give their ranks a class warfare crumb to feel good about.

They're doing the same with private education now - I've got a kid in my training group that says she is at the bottom of the pecking order to get in to Runshaw College 6th Form because she goes to Westholme.

The argument is nothing to do with cruelty. Do you really think that farmers let them on the land for the fun of it. They do an effective job and save the farmer time.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Hmmmm good point.

But foxes are vermin and foxes kill chickens and lambs etc. A fox once killed all our hens! - which means im biased and hate the things.

Now fair enough thats life...they need to eat something.....but people kill bears and wolfs in America for getting too close to people so why is it different.

I see that fox hunting in itself is rather a yuppie sport and yes its cruel on the fox...but banning it just means that foxes are vertually not being controlled what so ever. Shooting them means that you have to find them first...wheras if you head out on the hunt your more likely to find one.
    But where do you think the hunt find a fox from? They don't just ride round on horses waiting for one to jump out. Someone needs to know where a fox hole is. And if they know that, why bother with the whole palarva of chasing them on horseback.

Round here the game keeper shoots foxes, because the local land owner (nice chap) holds pheasant shoots. Hardly anyone round here loses chickens to foxes.

The idea that fox hunting is designed to keep the population down is rubbish - it's sport.