Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Non-fell' runs... soft sods!!

Re: 'Non-fell' runs... soft so

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    no running is better than " treamill running " my god theres people in my gym who run for hours on the things " get outside "
    Got to disagree with you there! If it wasn't for the treadmill (creche included) I wouldn't be able to run at all for two weeks at a time.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong.....I'M REALLY GLAD I GOT OFF MY ASS TO RUN ON THE TREADMILL....IT'S BETTER THAN NOT RUNNING AT ALL AND BEING A FAT ASS COUCH POT.....

(and as for carrying water? Yes it's a good idea to stay hydrated....I love to be able to sip on the stuff every 15 mins or so.....IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR BODIES PERFORMANCE....)

So there!!!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

But you using an mp3 doesn't push up race fees. Normal drink stations give you a sip every 15/30 mins.

Do you need a full bottle of shipped in spa water every 3 miles?

Aren't we getting a bit close to the "everybody's crazy but me" point? Nobody's got quite the same view on running as I have, it's just that my take on it has similarities with others in places. So I do some of the same races as some people I know, and others with other people. Sometimes I train alone because nobody else wants to run the woods by headtorch, & sometimes I'm training with others because our motivation coincides closely enough, just in that area.

I'd hate it if everyone else shared my views, prejudices, quirks, preferences. I'd probably change them all instinctively, just to become an individual again. I think road running's great. I'd never knock road runners. I'd mention they're likely to get damaged joints & not last as long as off-road runners, but I'm perfectly happy for them, and not critical at all. I love watching the London Marathon on the telly.

But...I'm never going to do it myself, that's all. I'm going to do what I want to do. I've still got total respect for road-runners' values - they're as valid as mine. They're just not my values.

Knocking people because they're different from you, in looks, habits, enthusiasms, values or whatever is the start of a slippery slope that human beings have run down without the benefit of Mudclaws too many times. We shouldn't be doing it.

Criticising people who try to stop you doing what you want to do, or make it uncomfortable for you to do it, when it hurts nobody, just to satisfy their own values, is perfectly OK in my book though. Anyone knocking road-runners and meaning it deserves a load of invective from all of us - and of course from road-runners.

Having said all that, nobody's going to stop me taking the p*ss out of road-runners, the Welsh, Bob Martin round obsessives, barefoot runners, or anyone else on this planet. It's my lookout to make it clear that I don't mean it really though, & to ensure nobody takes offence. Personally I don't always get this right, but I try to. I'd better use one of these:
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

'Live and let live' I say
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Absolutely! Each to their own and all that.

Mind you, a nice icy cold bottle of sparkling water halfway round Kinder....could be just the thing. I'd pay 50p for that!
    Ali H - Glossopdale Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by wormstone View Post
    Mind you, a nice icy cold bottle of sparkling water halfway round Kinder....could be just the thing. I'd pay 50p for that!
    Is it the only one? I'll pay 60p. Can I have a straw? And a paper umbrella?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I hate i-pods,pointless contraptions.Used by fat people who want to hide/distract away the pain of being unfit ! They are dangerous whether it be in a race or training.Can't hear anything,be it a car,bike or a fellow runner in distress in a race.
    The idea they are "proven" to make you go faster is debatable to say the least....i can't be bothered to read link but can only be over a very short distance if at all.I can't see how a slight increase in adrenaline can be sustained over a 2 hour race !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Got to disagree with you there! If it wasn't for the treadmill (creche included) I wouldn't be able to run at all for two weeks at a time.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong.....I'M REALLY GLAD I GOT OFF MY ASS TO RUN ON THE TREADMILL....IT'S BETTER THAN NOT RUNNING AT ALL AND BEING A FAT ASS COUCH POT.....

(and as for carrying water? Yes it's a good idea to stay hydrated....I love to be able to sip on the stuff every 15 mins or so.....IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR BODIES PERFORMANCE....)

So there!!!
    fair point , but then theres walking on the treadmill !

Quote Originally Posted by Miss July View Post
    I think I have found what we can put on the FRA 40th anniversary sticker.

Fellrunners
    We take the (moral) high ground
    though I walked in the shadow of the valley of death I feared no evil because the FRA forum was on the high ground providing eternal moral guidance

I like Fell Running, so i run on the Fells, if i have to run on the road for any reason i have a good moan about it. If i used an MP3 player, i wouldn't be able to hear myself moan and would be ignoring myself and that's downright ignorant. My mate's a roadrunner, he's not soft cos he runs on the road, he's soft cos he can't drink as much Guinness as me. As for those silly drink bottles, if your running on roads there are such things as shops, mind you, that interfere with PB's (Paddy Buckley's?).
    Treadmills are the pits, but ok for people who can't do any other form of running.
    Live and let live, but i hate TARMAC, but that's just me
    Hills and Guinness!