Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moelwyn Peaks Race

Moelwyn Peaks Race

Hello there,
    It so happens that I'll be in Ffestiniogg area on the day of the Moelwyn Peaks Race (Sat April 21st). Have any forumites out there run this before? Can anyone give me some pointers as to what it's like?
    Ta v. much!

Re: Moelwyn Peaks Race

I did it a couple of years ago when it was a championship race. If you have got a copy of Fellrunner mag from February 2005 there should be a detailed description in it.

Ta for that. Unfortunately, I joined the FRA in summer 2005 so missed out on that issue of the magazine.

Thumbs up Re: Moelwyn Peaks Race

I'm looking to do this one. There is a link here jodg - www.ffestiniog.org.uk

Thanks for that, had already seen the site and map. Just wondering if there was any more info about the race. If anyone can do me a photocopy of the race report from the Feb 2005 Fellrunner then I'd be most grateful.

Any race named after Moles has to be good. Don't forget the headtorch for the tunnel sections
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Can't we have any sort of sensible conversation without The Mole butting in? Mind you, there are some impressive tunnels in the side of the Moelwyns - racing through them.... now let me think....hmmmm.... nooooooo!!!! .... don't let Wheeze or Toffer see this.

Anyway, back to the serious point of this - spent Sunday on the Moelwyns and have raced it a few times so feel partially qualified to answer - but ignore me if a better answer comes along.

After a first little bit on the road its over the Festiniog Railway footbridge and then up and over a little bit of rough ground before picking up the quarry track (U/12 on map) which you follow up into Cwm Orthin, flat past the lake and then a climb into Rosydd quarries, round the tips and up the long slog to M Mawr. Then its down Craig Ysgafn - pretty steep in parts and a bit of a drop so watch your step - and then up M Bach - path slants up to the left and then round behind the prominent prow that faces you. Then its down and to the left - past some small pools in the rocks - and over the edge onto the steep descent to the dam - its all over large boulders etc, so the descent is ' interesting'.

Once across the dam its up a steep bank, onto an old tramway that curves around right, and then across a fence (? I think) and up onto the final summit of Mole (sorry. Moel) Yr Hydd (scene of an epic bonk from my mate Simon about four years ago, who sat on the summit saying' I just can't go down there' - after a few reviving jelly babies and some kind words and helping hands from yours truly he did get down, and then proceeded to try and outsprint me - no gratitude!). Its then another very steep descent, wet grass, no path, until you pick up the road again and return the way you came.

On Sunday conditions were perfect - having just remembered what a good race it is, I might even try to get there myself this year!

Many thanks for the info Boy Wonder. I'm off to Snowdonia on hols for a week from Saturday so might even get a recce in before the race.

Fancied doing this myself, but i'm worried about getting injured 1 week before the 3 Peaks! May do the Langdale 10k instead.
    Last edited by PaulH7; 11-04-2007 at 09:57 AM.

Hmmm, sounds rocky.....is it a fell or trail shoe sort of race? I know from past experience that a bit of cushioning on the ol' feet coming down is welcome....! :-)