Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to train for fell running

Banned

Re: How to train for fell runn

Welcome Liz

Just a couple of quick questions,

Do you want to train for an actual race or event?

If your running solo on the fells what is the extra you are looking for?

Enjoy your running

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    Hi Liz - Welcome to the forum!

I took up fell-running 3 years ago aged 42
    I almost always run solo too
    I honestly don't think there are any "tricks" to it - just find some hills and build up distance/ascent/speed and try rougher and rougher terrain
    I'm rubbish but keen, and have got progressively (albeit slowly) better and have loved every minute of it

just get stuck in!
    Not trying to pass off someone elses wisdom as my own here, but this is how i see it too. If you're amazingly good and 10yrs old then you'd benefit from getting your head in a book to set up your future, but otherwise just get out and run.

Hill reps are good, try some of those, but do watch for repetetive strain injury creeping up on you and act on the signs.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Sorry to burst in on this but i have also taken the advise and asked Santa for a copy of this book, as i am a very very novice fell runner, and i often don't push myself as much as i should, maybe a book will point me in the right direction.
    I was reliant on my X pushing me forward but he tended to bully me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantisocial View Post
    Sorry to burst in on this but i have also taken the advise and asked Santa for a copy of this book, as i am a very very novice fell runner, and i often don't push myself as much as i should, maybe a book will point me in the right direction.
    I was reliant on my X pushing me forward but he tended to bully me.
    My tip....set of too fast and try and stick at it.
    Worst a treat and you suffer like hell.

Thanks for that Tinyman. I'm further west than that (out towards Ulverston way) but it sounds like a good route for a nice flat run. I might just go and try it out. Cheers

Liz

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm really bowled over by the friendliness of the forum.

I can see the wisdom in just getting out there and building up slowly (that's more or less what I've been doing, so it's nice to have it confirmed that that's a good way of going about it), so in truth I probably don't need a book, but I do like a good read and I might pick up a few tips. I'm not at the moment training for an event or race (I wouldn't rule it out for the future), but I'd just like to see myself progress a bit for my own gratification.

Al Fowler - what are you trying to do - kill me? I'm just an old creaky bird y'know!

Liz

Liz its a common mistake many on here fall into - someone comes on for some advice on running in the hills and gets told to join in a race in the hills. Fell racing isn't necessarily fell running remember. When I run in the hills the whole thing is a superb wilderness, terrain and weather experience, sometimes with great views and scenery. When I race though its a usually very painful wilderness, terrain and weather experience sometimes with great views and scenery that I have no time or inclination to look at... but with a load of nutters to share the pain with
    Last edited by Stolly; 07-12-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Hi Liz,

Although he is an American and not a fell runner, there is some interesting stuff to be found on Joe Henderson’s website

http://joehenderson.com/

The guy has a lifetime of experience. Loads of people over the years have scoffed at his LSD (Long,Slow,Distance) way of life, but it works for lots of people as well, me included.

In reality long isn’t necessarily long and slow is relative.
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by LizMint View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm really bowled over by the friendliness of the forum.

I can see the wisdom in just getting out there and building up slowly (that's more or less what I've been doing, so it's nice to have it confirmed that that's a good way of going about it), so in truth I probably don't need a book, but I do like a good read and I might pick up a few tips. I'm not at the moment training for an event or race (I wouldn't rule it out for the future), but I'd just like to see myself progress a bit for my own gratification.

Al Fowler - what are you trying to do - kill me? I'm just an old creaky bird y'know!

Liz
    Liz, if you're near ulverston then you're in perfect country: the dunnerdale fells would make perfect nursery slopes. Just go and have a jog around them
    and enjoy it - if you've got a bit of hill-walking experience you're unlikely to get into much trouble round there, even in winter.

Look at the anniversary waltz as a target for a first fell-race.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Liz its a common mistake many on here fall into - someone comes on for some advice on running in the hills and gets told to join in a race in the hills. Fell racing isn't necessarily fell running remember. When I run in the hills the whole thing is a superb wilderness, terrain and weather experience, sometimes with great views and scenery. When I race though its a usually very painful wilderness, terrain and weather experience sometimes with great views and scenery that I have no time or inclination to look at... but with a load of nutters to share the pain with
    Stolly - that's a really interesting point you make. I know that racing motivates a lot of runners, probably most runners, but I just don't get it, and never have! I suppose we all run for different reasons. The reason I run is because I like being out there on my own, first thing in the morning when there's no-one else about and I can enjoy the scenery and the wildlife and the feeling of being part of it all. Other than just enjoying it, my aims in running are I to be as fit as I possibly can be, and I don't think racing is necessary for that. I wouldn't rule it out for the future as I have nothing against racing per se and I keep thinking I ought to give it a go, but I have no burning desire to. Your comment is the first time I've ever heard anyone express similar feelings to my own about running, but maybe there's lots more of you out there that I haven't met yet.

Liz