Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to train for fell running

Re: How to train for fell runn

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Hi Liz,

Although he is an American and not a fell runner, there is some interesting stuff to be found on Joe Henderson’s website

http://joehenderson.com/

The guy has a lifetime of experience. Loads of people over the years have scoffed at his LSD (Long,Slow,Distance) way of life, but it works for lots of people as well, me included.

In reality long isn’t necessarily long and slow is relative.
    Trog - Joe Henderson looks like my kind of guy. I don't do fast, so his way looks like it might suit me. I've had a quick look at his site, there's loads of archives I'll have to have a look through. I don't know why anyone would scoff at anyone else's running philosophy, we're all different thankfully, it'd be pretty boring if we weren't.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Liz, if you're near ulverston then you're in perfect country: the dunnerdale fells would make perfect nursery slopes. Just go and have a jog around them
    and enjoy it - if you've got a bit of hill-walking experience you're unlikely to get into much trouble round there, even in winter.

Look at the anniversary waltz as a target for a first fell-race.
    Thanks, I like it round there so will give that a go. The Anniversary Waltz looks tough . Here's a question for everyone, because it's something I'm not quite clear about - what's the definition of a fell run and when does a trail run become a fell run?

Quote Originally Posted by LizMint View Post
    Here's a question for everyone, because it's something I'm not quite clear about - what's the definition of a fell run and when does a trail run become a fell run?
    The UK:Athletics official descriptions are:

Rule 400 A fell race is one run of fell, hill or mountain terrain.

Rule 602 A trail race is primarily along footpaths or bridleways on Ordnance Survey maps as 'Public Rights of Way'.

In there is very little difference between many fell and trail races. Only die-in-the-mud traditionalists (and there are many on this forum) want fell running to be a separate sport in this country.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Thanks, I like it round there so will give that a go. The Anniversary Waltz looks tough . Here's a question for everyone, because it's something I'm not quite clear about - what's the definition of a fell run and when does a trail run become a fell run?
    yes you're right, it's not the easiest out there, so I should say that does depend how fit / confident you are

Fell races are generally unflagged: defined only by checkpoints between which the route choice is your own. So, particularly in the longer races and outside of summer months, weather and navigation can become key.

As fell races are run over higher altitudes and often the best way is off any paths that do exist, the terrain is generally much rougher - whether bog or rock or bracken or whatever - and steeper.

Trog - Joe Henderson looks like my kind of guy. I don't do fast, so his way looks like it might suit me. I've had a quick look at his site, there's loads of archives I'll have to have a look through. I don't know why anyone would scoff at anyone else's running philosophy, we're all different thankfully, it'd be pretty boring if we weren't.

Liz
    I think it depends how much time you have on your hands. If you don't have time to do all the distance in training, then running shorter, faster training runs can be a good shortcut to getting fit enough to tackle longer runs.

I personally think that once you've got some endurance in your legs, then by far the best way to improve your times is either speed sessions or hill reps.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 08-12-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Hey up Liz

If fitness is your goal racing will help. For me racing is just for fun but it gives me a goal and i always push myself much harder in a race than when on my own.

Out in the hills alone, with friends or the hound is just as enjoyable but different

All the best
    sbrt

Here's a question for everyone, because it's something I'm not quite clear about - what's the definition of a fell run and when does a trail run become a fell run?
    A definition might be that in a fell race you will end up walking at some point(s) because it is too steep or too rough to run.

The FRA definition is a race that has at least 100ft of climb per mile length, and some genuine "fell" terrain. Define a "fell" and you can define fell running!

If it's registered with the FRA it must be a fell race, right?

If it passes through fell terrain without leaving a good path, is it really a fell race? (e.g. Snowdon race).

You're never going to get a definitive answer on this one I think!

By the way, good luck
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

Usually a fell race includes at least one stupidly bonkers cliff wall of an ascent (the Anniversary Waltz's 2,000 ft straight up the side of Robinson being a prime example) and at least one stupidly bonkers descent (coming off of Catbells in the Anniversary Waltz being a prime example)

"Die - in -the - mud traditionalist"

Cool.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

How to train for fell running

ooh - ooh! suggested race = Black Combe
    (which I believe will be on Mar.14th)
    I'll be up recce'ing it at some point, as well as Duddon Valley and the southern end of the Cumbrian Traverse route
    so keep a look-out on the Recce section if interested...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run