Thread: Mam Tor questions

Mam Tor questions

Over the Christmas holidays I will be going to spread my parents ashes. I have never been to the area before so I have a few questions. I will be taking my wife and the kids and so will be looking to walk to the summit after driving there. Where is a good spot to drive to for a shortish walk up? How far would we be walking? On the way back we are planning on going to a pub/restaurant for lunch - any recommendations?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator

Re: Mam Tor questions

Its probably half a mile up a stone-flagged path from Mam Nick car park or four mile round trip up and back via Hollins Cross from Castleton

Be aware Mam Tor will be busy on a decent day in the holidays!

I met my brother a few months ago in the Cheshire Cheese in Hope and it was good. Search for Peak pubs thread for other locals' suggestions. Hope all goes well Simon
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Over the Christmas holidays I will be going to spread my parents ashes. I have never been to the area before so I have a few questions. I will be taking my wife and the kids and so will be looking to walk to the summit after driving there. Where is a good spot to drive to for a shortish walk up? How far would we be walking? On the way back we are planning on going to a pub/restaurant for lunch - any recommendations?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Fishbulb

Closest carpark is Mam Nick SK 1239 8322 as it's about 400m distance from the top. It might be worth while just dropping down a bit though to get some peace and queit, Mam Tor is always busy. If you wanted a longer walk then set off from Edale. probably about amile away but a steep climb

Lots of pubs about not sure what food will be served over Christmas. Edale(avoid pub near Station they are miserable), Hope, Castleton, Ladybowyer, Hathersage, also depends on budget I guess. Depends on which way home you are going

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Its probably half a mile up a stone-flagged path from Mam Nick car park or four mile round trip up and back via Hollins Cross from Castleton

Be aware Mam Tor will be busy on a decent day in the holidays!

I met my brother a few months ago in the Cheshire Cheese in Hope and it was good. Search for Peak pubs thread for other locals' suggestions. Hope all goes well Simon
    Just beaten to it.

CC is a good pub but will be busy.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    On the way back we are planning on going to a pub/restaurant for lunch - any recommendations?
    Only been in once with the family, last summer, but we enjoyed the Castle Hotel (?) on the main road in Castleton. If its the same chef, the food was great and the staff very friendly.