Thread: Don't let the Fellsman die

Don't let the Fellsman die

This event almost didn't happen this year although their plea for entries saved it. They have not yet balanced the books to see if it was enough. Many on the committee are open to feedback and to making some changes if need be. They have asked for feedback on their facebook page but obviously that tends to be used by people who have done the race.
    If you didn't enter/ have never done it Why Not? (genuine request- they want to know). Next year it will not clash with GL3D which will help.

I would imagine the clash of date with the Yorkshire Three Peaks must take away at least 20 or 30 potential entries

Yes- whenever they put it there will be a clash with something

Not really what you're asking for Karen, but having done this the last two years I would highly recommend it. Obviously it's a very challenging route, but the atmosphere amongst all the runners and volunteers is excellent, really fun and supportive.

As to why its struggling for numbers, I wonder if its partly due to the rise in high profile commercial events which are marketed as really tough etc? The Fellsman entry fee has risen quite a bit (partly due to trackers) which in itself might not be an issue (people are paying hundreds for other events) but I wonder if that has put off some of the more traditional fell crowd? Just a theory. In terms of 'solutions' I can't think of much beyond advertising beyond these traditional areas.

Also a couple of people have said to me they miss the old Fleet Moss section - this is totally anecdotal so not sure how widespread that is, also doesn't apply to new people like myself who have never done that section. Listening to them, it does sound quite fun though.

Yes- it is a shame about the road section. I try to think of it as making it more varied but I miss the nav and bogs. I have suggested marketing it as Are you Tough enough....loads of people wear T shirts of tuff mudder etc and think they are hard- they have no idea

I did it for the 1st time this year having thought about it for what must be 20 years! I absolutely loved it and can't wait for next year. As a 1st-timer, the logistics sounded like quite a faff beforehand, particularly catching a bus so early just to sit around for an hour before the start, although in reality it all worked well and just made for a nice relaxed spell before kick off. I was slightly worried about kit check despite having what I thought was a good set of kit plus alternatives, but in the end I had a lovely informed chat with the chap at kit check which allowed me to confidently make some swaps to my kit choices.

I love the traditional and low-key aspect of the event and whilst that in itself might not attract new entrants in great numbers, it's what attracted me to the event. I personally wouldn't return if it was suddenly billed as 'worlds toughest' or offered a gaudy finishers technical t-shirt/medal etc. I'm not even sure I like it being lumped in with the ultra series because I see it as a commercially driven label although i'd have to concede it's probably very helpful for entries and so an overall good thing for the event.

The road section down Wharfedale was awful, but having it in again next year wouldn't make me more or less likely to enter, it is what it is although the soles of my feet might disagree!

If the clash with the 3 Peaks is deemed to be an issue (I really don't see that it is), then lets have Fellsman last weekend of Feb next year, make the most of the weather.....!!