Page 3 of 235 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

agree dodd fell to hellgap is pretty pathless, but then its paths again - or it should be if you go the right way

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    You have to carry 100g of food with you at all times, plus most people carry additional stuff to eat on the way round.
    It's actually 300g Check out rule 5f
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Breath View Post

How many I wonder flounder the direct way across Fleet Moss and how many have sussed out the dry route following walls & fences further south ?
    DB
    I'm with you DB Walls and fences for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LazySod View Post

I mean Yorkshire's not that big a place..
    LOL we're hardly scratching it!

Good luck every one, rain to start with but brighter later. We will be up at Threshfield for 8.30 ish.

Ian Race number No60

Weather very wet and foggy at start as predicted made worst by tha fact you could see sunshine down the valley. Lots of people missed the marked stile on the Whernside descent mainly because it wasn't there!
    Weather picked by late dinner which allowed us to dry out.
    Fleet Moss flew passed on the walls/fence route.
    left Cray around night fall as the rain and fog came back. Visibilty dropped to 5m at times, Finished in 17.28 in a provisional place of 34th which we were happy with considering we slowed down so as not to get lost which a number of other groups did.

Brilliantly organised for something that goes on so long. The Great Whernside checkpoint would have still been up there when I got home to Sheffield this morning. well done guys
    Ian

DB/LS/Saz how you do?

Grough sorry I forgot to hello, we were the group of 5 that split up around 2.00am at your checkpoint.

I'm not doing it this year, but yes the check point did move so I assume that unless they have moved it back, which I doubt, then it is correct.

My advice: Go like stink up to Cray then fond someone there who knows the route like the back of their hand and stick with them through the night section. You don't want to be left waiting for people behind you to group with you as you'll just get cold.
    Best of luck both of you.
    And also best of luck Ian with your BG attempt. When are you doing it?

Wylie
    In endless fruitless pursuit of roadrunners...

Ian - sounds like a good one to me, I was at home, although I admit I kept thinking 'its such and such time I should be at x' - all hopefully in good stead as will be doing the old county tops next w/e instead

happy recovery

Congratulations to Mark Hartell on his 10th win! Macc runners were 1st/2nd in the mens and 1st Lady - Mandy Calvert.

Enjoyed that! 19 hours at a canter - excellent BG training. Feel quite fresh today although the jaw muscles are sore from all the eating i've done since finishing.

I've never done an event like that before and found it to be a pleasant and interesting coming together of walkers, runners, advernture racers etc etc.

Well done to all that got around and a huge thanks to the organisers and checkpoint crews.

ST

Well done to all those hardy souls (or should it be soles) who entered, competed or even dropped out this year. I was with you in spirit if not body all Saturday.

Who is fed up of he thought of another cheese and jam sarnie now !!!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

hi all,

Well that was an experience. Summary of my Fellsman:

First 20 miles : "Oh jesus what have I let myself in for. I'll just get to the next checkpoint and I'll retire then.."

2nd 20 miles : Neurofen super plus pain killers kick in, and I latch onto three cheerful lads from Doncaster. Mood improves - good section.

3rd 20 miles : "Christ it's dark, and why am I wading through mud? Oh well I'll just get my head down and follow these guys who seem to know where they're going." A bit of a slog...

Overall - definitely a good event, and I think I may even do it again. Although I may try to train a bit more for it beforehand.

Cheers for the advice in the previous postings - I see now the wisdom in them.

Cheers,
    LS

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Weather very wet and foggy at start as predicted made worst by tha fact you could see sunshine down the valley. Lots of people missed the marked stile on the Whernside descent mainly because it wasn't there!
    Weather picked by late dinner which allowed us to dry out.
    Fleet Moss flew passed on the walls/fence route.
    left Cray around night fall as the rain and fog came back. Visibilty dropped to 5m at times, Finished in 17.28 in a provisional place of 34th which we were happy with considering we slowed down so as not to get lost which a number of other groups did.

Brilliantly organised for something that goes on so long. The Great Whernside checkpoint would have still been up there when I got home to Sheffield this morning. well done guys
    Ian

DB/LS/Saz how you do?

Grough sorry I forgot to hello, we were the group of 5 that split up around 2.00am at your checkpoint.
    Glad you all enjoyed (!?) the event so much. I'm working on a report for grough.co.uk right now, including a post-race interview with Mark Hartell.
    Glad you made it to our checkpoint Ian because if you make it to Yarnbury, you've made it to the finish, though those last two miles of Tarmac really tell on the feet.
    I didn't want to start on the report any sooner because, after 36 hours with just half an hour's sleep, it would have been gibberish!
    Thanks for the kind words about the organisation: it is hard work and there are an awful lot of people put a hell of a lot of work in but, as those awful people say on the ads: you're worth it.
    Sorry about the missing Whernside stile. These little glitches do happen in such a complicated setup.
    I'll add a photo gallery as and when I can through this week. There are lots of pics from the route up to Ingleborough, just above Crina Bottom, a few from Kingsdale and an odd one or two from our checkpoint at Yarnbury. Well done to all who took part!