Page 101 of 235 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

You can if you do it at a roadside CP, and inform the marshalls of what's happening! I got slowed up massively over Fleet Moss a couple of years ago, ended up having to take someone BACK to Fleet Moss checkpoint (panic attack in the dark/bog!) then rejoin a later group as all bar me of the original group threw the towel in at that point. Then most of the second lot jacked it at Cray so I had to wait again...
    ...eventually, we got timed out at Park Rash. A lesson learnt, that year!

thanks for that PB, we had done everything possible prior to the day, formed out own group mid afternoon as we had a good feeling about the 2 men we picked up (oo er missus) and all was well in the world, dissapointing that a selfish div should have such an impact and if we had known it possible to ditch we would have sooner, but hey you live and learn so next year we will know! bad luck with your grouping-to have to back track would have a very negative effect?

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    Personally my training still includes a large element of speed work (2/5 sessions) and I may not be the fastest, but I'm reasonable (top 25% in most races). Once you have built up a reasonable fitness and distance base then speed is the next thing to work on. i can't imagine that any of the sub 13hr boys and girls just do long and slow miles. i'm quite sure that any of them would fair well in much shorter races.
    eg Top Novice Konrad Rawlik

Since I was being given as an example I felt compelled to comment...
    I personally don't do much, if any, speed work. Over the winter I try to do intervals once a week but haven't done any since about February. Virtually all of my training is long runs (i.e. 10+km) in hills taken at natural pace, i.e. probably slower than race pace but not much and certainly not intentionally holding back. The only exceptions are club handicaps (1/month) and the occasional short race. This year (so you might say for the Fellsman) my build up looked as follows. From late January to the middle of April weekly 25-35miles runs in hills, then Highlander MM (Score), after which due to a knee injury I didn't really run till the Fellsman, apart from a short run followed by a long walk around the Stuc a'Chroin race and short runs on the weekend before the Fellsman to find out how bad the knee would be.

However I'm the first one to admit that my 'training program' isn't terribly effective. Following a more targeted and formal training regime would most likely lead to better results. To be honest I was rather surprised by my Fellsman time and certainly didn't set off intending to run anything anywhere close to the eventual 12:10 (though now I'm quite miffed about taking it easy on the middle section and not managing sub 12h).

Hope everybody else enjoyed the Fellsman. I had a great weekend! It was my first event of this kind/length and I definitly intend to be back. Also I would ecourage anyone who hasn't tried it before to have a go... you wont regret it (afterwards).

To put things in perspective, people should be made aware that you are some kind of super-human freak, Konrad! ;o)

See you at the LAMM,

Rob

I like the "you won't regret it AFTERWARDS" bit - so true. I think everyone has a few "why am I doing this?" moments on the way round.

Konrad - apologies for using you as an example with no knowledge of your training. I made assumptions about you based on your (very good) results at various distances in an attempt to illustrate that 'going long' doesn't make you devoid of speed.
    Obviosuly my training assumptions were incorrect, howvere I think my actually point regarding speed still stands.

assumption is the mother of all .... ups

my race report at
    Fellsman
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Rob - I'll accept freak, but at least let me be human. If the LAMM is anything like Slioch this weekend it should be a right jolly this time! See you then.

Superfly - no need for apologies, as I said I don't think my approach is the norm or the best. In fact I'm fairly sure one would have to do speed work to get very good results, i.e. vying for top spots something I'm certainly not doing. I would probably agree that in general most people will do speed work and that the fast guys will be fast (relative to the pack) over a large range of distances, though in my perception (though I dont have any data on that) there then is some variation within that top group with some dominating the longer and others the shorter events.
    Overall I mainly just wanted to give my side to show that different approaches are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinders View Post
    Haha, you're close, it's Lisa but I am in the same group as Jon, and we made it to the finishing line together. Also did nine edges last year, so apart from the fact I'm not a bloke you could've been right! Maybe I should have a pic to avoid confusion......
    Oops

Well my best to Jon anyway Lisa, and also to you, The Fellsman is a hell of an event! I'll hopefully be running it bext year.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    Oops

Well my best to Jon anyway Lisa, and also to you, The Fellsman is a hell of an event! I'll hopefully be running it bext year.

Thank you, and no worries! Hopefully see you next year then, and like the blog by the way.

Now then all. First time so not sure if this will throw owt up?! I left some kit in the changing rooms after this years do. I think the magnitude of what we had just achieved and the fact I was paggered led me to leave my mucky shorts with my race number on (373), a pair of craft pants, a montane half zip blue wind jammer, A long sleeved thermal vest half zip and a camouflage hat. Gutted as some bits were having their first outing and left them to find their own way home! We were in the changing rooms about 3am.
    If anyone can help it would be really appreciated. I keep telling my wife this running lark is cheaper than other pass times but she's gonna notice if I keep buying £100 worth of gear every time I go for a run!!
    Cheers
    Simon Beverley 0113 2575 379 (work number)
    Last edited by simonbeverley; 07-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.