Page 113 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    Hi BritNick,

Thanks for the advice, that goes for everyone else who's taken the trouble to offer comments and advice!
    When you say "but don't forget to get to Cray in daylight before grouping" what does that actually translate into on the day? Does the time differ or do the organisers work on official sunrise, sunset times? If we get there before grouping what does that mean? presumably we can just crack on as a pair?

What sort of time schedule gets you to Cray before grouping?
    Hi Steampig,
    Now the date has changed to April there will be less daylight so I assume the grouping times may be brought forward, making it even more difficult to get through Fleet Moss before grouping to minimum group size. It depends on your speed, but speaking for myself it may relieve the pressure for speed during the daylight hours and I can just resign myself to grouping at Fleet Moss.
    I think the advice offered by others cannot be bettered - i.e. don't set off too fast. Run or walk at a pace that feels comfortable and sustainable, eat and drink well, let the necessary time elapse (about 1.5 times what you'd expect for a 'trail' event) and you'll finish feeling fit and well, if a little used. The overriding longterm emotion will be one of proud achievement and camaraderie.

Good point about the grouping times being bought forward, I never thought of that - Fleet Moss for me, if I'm lucky!

Any advance on Dent?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    What sort of time schedule gets you to Cray before grouping?
    We were grouped at Cray, and finished in just over 19 hours I think, so it's not a fast schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    You'll have to be doing pretty well to get to Cray before grouping, although obviously lots of people do
    Actually PB its not about getting to Cray before grouping but just ( ) about getting to Fleet Moss before grouping. I don't know about you but it takes a loooooong time to get across Fleet 'the Somme' Moss and Middle Tongue

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    it takes a loooooong time to get across Fleet 'the Somme' Moss and Middle Tongue
    Especially if you go wrong and add an extra 2 miles to the route

Or get grouped with someone who has a panic attack in the dark, refuses to go on so you have to backtrack a mile and a half to Fleet Moss, then wait 45 mins to get grouped again because all the others decide to drop out too...
    (that was my 'timed out' year..!)

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Or get grouped with someone who has a panic attack in the dark, refuses to go on so you have to backtrack a mile and a half to Fleet Moss, then wait 45 mins to get grouped again because all the others decide to drop out too...
    (that was my 'timed out' year..!)
    PB - that must have been a nightmare !! A 'robust' educational slap in the face and MTFU approach is called for, to encourage them lol. All the more reason to scrap the grouping rule, it is pretty daft IMHO. Better luck with your grouping this year.

I was fortunate with my group, although we had to wait for around 15 minutes to be grouped (not a lot really) which the timekeepers never gave us back as stated.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    PB - that must have been a nightmare !! A 'robust' educational slap in the face and MTFU approach is called for, to encourage them lol. All the more reason to scrap the grouping rule, it is pretty daft IMHO. Better luck with your grouping this year.

I was fortunate with my group, although we had to wait for around 15 minutes to be grouped (not a lot really) which the timekeepers never gave us back as stated.
    Haha like a broken record (I've said it before and I'll say it again) the grouping which is done for safety reasons doesn't best suit the runners (or those doing their best to run) and isn't what I'd call safe - both times I've done the Fellsman, I've got really cold while hanging about at Cray for a group of four. I think they should let runners or those reaching say Cray for grouping to pair up rather than foursome up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Haha like a broken record (I've said it before and I'll say it again) the grouping which is done for safety reasons doesn't best suit the runners (or those doing their best to run) and isn't what I'd call safe - both times I've done the Fellsman, I've got really cold while hanging about at Cray for a group of four. I think they should let runners or those reaching say Cray for grouping to pair up rather than foursome up.
    Yep like a broken record as you say! I would agree with your thoughts about letting the runners through either in pairs or even on their own. Sitting around getting cold is crappy and induces injuries once you get up and going again. At the end of the day though I suppose this is not a 'race' of any sorts, as has been pointed out to me, but it is still a crap rule. My choice to enter though and to abide by their rules.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.