Page 119 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    As a newbie to The Fellsman can you give me a bit of insight:
    Is there a set route or can you choose your own route between checkpoints (apart from the specified no-go areas)?
    Mark the route for the first 16 to 17 miles is either completely (or pretty completely) obvious and its not until you get near to the top of Great Coum that you'll first be faced with your first stretch of potentially open fell, dropping down towards Dent. If the weather's clear here there will be plenty of other runners to see and follow but, if in doubt, hang on to somebody else's shirt tail. After that its plain sailing again until half way round the side of Whernside where you need to take a line towards Blea Moor trig - again though this is quite easy and you'll be in touch with the odd runner going in the right direction I'm sure. Stonehouse, Great Knoutberry, Redshaw and Snaizeholm are all straightforward but, after that, the line up the last bit of Dodd fell from the Pennine Way (which you very briefly follow) and then the line coming off Dodd Fell are worth having some compass bearings for and, as for the next bit Fleet Moss and Middle Tongue, they are probably well worth recceing first (we've been there already ). After Cray the climb up Buckden Pike and going across to Great Whernside isn't too bad, so long as you don't miss the path through the hole in the wall towards Starbotten not long after the little war memorial, and as for the line off of Great Whernside itself you can do a lot worse than just following your compass in a dead line south until you (eventually) hit a fence coming over your left shoulder which you then follow.... for ages. The last bit past past Capplestone Gate can get confusing in the dark until you reach the marked (and beaconed) run in to Yarnbury but if you're teamed up by then somebody in your team is bound to know . Yarnbury to Threshfield is a doddle.....
    Last edited by Stolly; 30-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.

That's great Stolly, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    just concerned that they will bring the grouping forward. For a self confessed grumpy bugger this is a concern .
    Any body heard about grouping?
    There will be an official announcement made on the Fellsman website soonish. It will cover a number of items including grouping, please check there in the next few days.
    Last edited by dmd; 15-02-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks dmd. We'll wait with baited breath.

I got an official announcement today from Fellsman - I missed the boat and am on the WL :-(That'll teach me to not put things off to tomorrow!

The update is up on the Fellsman website. Salient points outlined below:

Night grouping brought forward by half an hour.
    Route same as last year (no Middle Tongue).
    Registration in Threshfield at 6am on Saturday and bus transport for all to Ingleton.
    If you can check in on Friday evening in Threshfield, do so as it will ease the load on Saturday morning.
    (Special, limited registration arrangements will be available in Ingleton on Saturday morning for those already planning to stay in Ingleton on Friday night. You need to email the organisers if you wish to do this.)

Check the website for the finer details.

It seems that force of circumstance has created difficult logistics for the organisers this year. With the increased capacity of 500 filled up, we're going to have to work with them as best we can to make it all work. I don't envy them and I take my hat off to them in advance. :thumbup:

Master

They also repeated their plea for people not to recce the route.
    "[we ask you] not to walk the route/parts of the route prior to the event. Permission is only sought for the weekend and anyone crossing Fellsman land (even open-access land) is jeopardizing the future of the event we have fought long and hard to protect."

I contacted them via their email button on the fellsman web site yesterday to check that I'm in....... and I am

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I contacted them via their email button on the fellsman web site yesterday to check that I'm in....... and I am
    me to :thumbup:

Fellsman news page here :- http://www.fellsman.org.uk/doku.php
    Last edited by JohnK; 16-02-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Just had an email back from the organisers; Harvey's are doing a sponsored custom map, specifically for the event!

There will be details on the website in due course, so if you haven't got a map, don't go out and buy one just yet.

I've had an email exchange with the organisers, concerning the above and they've asked me to circulate the result;

Hi Andy

Yes, the map mentioned on the order form is the custom Fellsman Map.

All entrants must bring full kit as stated in the rules.

IF
    the map is ready in time (it may not be) then on the day entrants can
    decide whether they wish to use the new map or their own, as it may not
    be appropriate for all runners/walkers needs.

Please spread the word that the existence of such a map MUST NOT BE RELIED ON, and ALL ENTRANTS must bring maps as stated in the rules.

I appreciate this is not what you wanted to hear, but these things don't happen overnight.

Best Wishes

Shona Brunskill
    On behalf of the Fellsman Committee

On Feb 17, 2012, Andrew Armstrong <********@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I notice that there's a 'Fellsman Map' listed on the 2012 shop list. Is this the custom map that you were proposing?

Can we order it in advance to collect on the weekend or is it first come first served on the day?

Hopefully not the latter, otherwise there's a risk that i won't have a map on race day!

Please could you let me know what the score is (and maybe blog it on the website so others know as well?)

Thanks,

Andy Armstrong.
    This only really affects the newbies (such as myself) who were hoping to solve their mapping issue with a single map; returning competitors will presumably already have maps of some sort.

It also reinforces the point that this map isn't really intended to replace the official map requirements as listed on the website. That was my misunderstanding of the original concept so apologies if I've accidentally misled anyone there. It would be nice to have a single 'Race' map for to use however I suspect that may not be possible due to lead times etc.

On another issue;

I was interested to know from previous competitors how they'd got on with fuelling during the event. Did you rely completely on the checkpoints (and was it comprehensive enough) or did you pack some food as well? What balance did you strike? I was hoping to carry as little food as possible (in addition to the mandatory ration) as I'm a bit of an omnivore and will pretty much eat anything during races!
    Last edited by AndyA; 18-02-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Peace in our time!