Page 121 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Whatever the question is, the answer's of course Walshes!

But for some of you, with your massive fell shoe collection fetishes, I imagine the choice before every event must be bewildering

Master

When I did it, my Highlanders were rejected at the kit check because they had a hole in the uppers. So I wore my Mudclaws (which also had a hole, but it was hidden by the laces), and was pleased I had - the extra grip was very reassuring after dark when I was tired. When I do it again I'll probably stick with the Mudclaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    When I did it, my Highlanders were rejected at the kit check because they had a hole in the uppers. So I wore my Mudclaws (which also had a hole, but it was hidden by the laces), and was pleased I had - the extra grip was very reassuring after dark when I was tired. When I do it again I'll probably stick with the Mudclaws.
    I need to glue a couple of areas on my roclite 315s - the integrity of the shoe is fine but the debris gauze has split which does not affect anything but I can see an over enthusiastic checker getting excited about it and an area of the flashing around one of the toes is starting to peel - again nothing serious. I remember last year some 'debates' going on around the checking tables on the Friday evening about what runners and the checkers thought was acceptable.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

So are (good condition) Trail shoes generally accepted at the kit check? Don't want to wear my Walshes and Just bought some New Balance 749's to replace my Kanadias which are starting to fall apart. I think they would be fine on this terrain, but not sure what is allowable.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Still building mileage? There's a 26 mile training run from Heptonstall on Sunday (about 20 of us running) - following the route of the 6 Trigs / Mag 7.
    Mixture of Tod Harriers and CVFR plus a load of forumites from various clubs - all welcome.
    See Mag 7 thread if you're interested.

Does anyone have the cp list with grid refs? I'm sure it used to be on the website but I can't find it now (perhaps it's been taken off now the reccie season has started?!).

Looking at the new Middle Tongue cp location, I'm pretty much convinced that the best bet is to follow the road round and simply miss out the whole fleet moss bog problem. The cp is about a mile off the road and there's even a footpath that leaves the road at Deepdale (just at the bridge) with a fingerpost to point the way. It looks like you could just follow the fp until you're over the access land boundary then follow a bearing up onto yockenthwaite moor (there's even a field boundary to point the way). It's barely any longer by the road and it's got to be the quicker/safer bet, especially if you're losing the light.

Any thoughts?

Andy most runners take the southern crossing of Fleetmoss heading south from the road checkpoint and then picking up a fence line east and almost running the southern edge of the ridge in the direction of Middle Tongue. If you follow the road I think you'll end up going down hill and you don't want to go down knowing that you'll have to come up again. I've only ever taken the across ther bogs route towards Jeffrey Pot before but, unless the ground is very dry, I can't help but assume the southern fence line is best

Edit: Blimey I just checked the map and if you followed the road to Yockenthwaite you'd add 1500 feet of really steep climb to the route - good luck with that!
    Last edited by Stolly; 22-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.

I take your point about the ascent from yockenthwaite, I was thinking of leaving the road a bit earlier at deepdale bridge and angling up the hill but 1500ft is still 1500ft!Presumably though, there's a down and up involved if you stay on the fell because you've got to cross deepdale gill? What's that bit like?Ultimately it'll depend on whose around on the day and the visibility. If the clag is down then the road is the safer bet for a newbie I think. It's a shame I'm not planning to reccie it!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    I take your point about the ascent from yockenthwaite, I was thinking of leaving the road a bit earlier at deepdale bridge and angling up the hill but 1500ft is still 1500ft!Presumably though, there's a down and up involved if you stay on the fell because you've got to cross deepdale gill? What's that bit like?Ultimately it'll depend on whose around on the day and the visibility. If the clag is down then the road is the safer bet for a newbie I think. It's a shame I'm not planning to reccie it!
    You don't go down and up Deepdale Gill, you follow the ridgeline around the top. Although the ground does undulate up there, the advantage of sticking to the ridge is that you avoid downs and ups and stick to trods where you can. That said with the new checkpoint placement there might be a bit of a corner around the top to cut, dropping a couple of contours but not much. And like you I doubt I'll be recceing either so it will be suck it and see on the day
    Last edited by Stolly; 22-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    You pass the gill along the wall line near the top(Hand rail) until the wall junction then aim for the tarn (attack point) from there you can pick up the fence line to the CP

From Memory any way