Page 132 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Unsure if I'm going to be able to start after all, managed to fall and injure right knee skiing on saturday and still pretty swollen and sore. :angry: Due to have MRI wednesday to check cruciates/ACL etc. I've just been examined by our practice physio and he assures me the knee is very stable and likely any injury is likely to be minor but he has advised no running until all clear from MRI so here's hoping.....
    BTW he thinks all the fellrunning has given me extra protection as my quads are strong and likely stabilised the knee during the accident so it does pay to run the hills:thumbup:

Perhaps someone can advise me,I have plotted all the map ref.from the handbook with a roamer,trying to locate all the cp's without an exact description has thrown up some interesting locations! A6 fig ref is a 100 x100m square,could be fun in the mist. Is this part of the fun of the Fellsman?As for time,well with the aid of the bus pass, sub 20 would be good!!
    Have a good one as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by protodoc View Post
    Unsure if I'm going to be able to start after all, managed to fall and injure right knee skiing on saturday and still pretty swollen and sore. :angry: Due to have MRI wednesday to check cruciates/ACL etc. I've just been examined by our practice physio and he assures me the knee is very stable and likely any injury is likely to be minor but he has advised no running until all clear from MRI so here's hoping.....
    BTW he thinks all the fellrunning has given me extra protection as my quads are strong and likely stabilised the knee during the accident so it does pay to run the hills:thumbup:
    Sorry to hear about your Fall Mark, it would be a real bummer if you couldn't make the Fellsman. (Besides, I'm selfishly wanting to learn from your experience!). Hope the MRI scan gives you clearance............fingers crossed
    ......yes, I know I'm a bit muddy

Quote Originally Posted by cefn dave View Post
    Perhaps someone can advise me,I have plotted all the map ref.from the handbook with a roamer,trying to locate all the cp's without an exact description has thrown up some interesting locations! A6 fig ref is a 100 x100m square,could be fun in the mist. Is this part of the fun of the Fellsman?As for time,well with the aid of the bus pass, sub 20 would be good!!
    Have a good one as they say.
    Most of the CPs are a doddle to find, apart from going over Middle Tongue maybe. And in theory the Middle Tongue checkpoint should be easier this year as its positioned near to the edge of the ridgeline but I think its the checkpoint after that, at Hell Gap, that I know runners have struggled to find or even missed in the past. Its normally quite close to the track (Gilbert Lane) if thats any help so, if push comes to shove and you manage to find the track, which you will inevitably, its either up or down that

Stolly,many thank for words of encouragement.back to the plotting

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    Sweep stake anyone? I'm on an 18 hour schedule, based very loosely on a certain Mr. Nick Ham telling me that I should aim for my usual Hobble pace + 50% any other advice?
    I reckon I'll be about the same Steampig as long as grouping and weather are perfect (what are the chances of that?). I managed 17:10 the last time I ran it in 2009 but I'm not that fit this year.

I was something like 18:10 in 2009 (when I was not nearly fit enough and was carrying a knacked ankle to boot) and 17:44 in 2010 (a bit fitter but took a very long route over Fleet Moss and Middle Tongue) but I'm very much hoping to better both times this year, feeling more running fit than ever.

Saying that has of course has immediately put the kiss of death on it

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I was something like 18:10 in 2009 (when I was not nearly fit enough and was carrying a knacked ankle to boot) and 17:44 in 2010 (a bit fitter but took a very long route over Fleet Moss and Middle Tongue) but I'm very much hoping to better both times this year, feeling more running fit than ever.

Saying that has of course has immediately put the kiss of death on it
    Do you run to a schedule Stolly? Or are you a set of and see how it goes man? I bet Nick's got a schedule..................:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    Do you run to a schedule Stolly? Or are you a set of and see how it goes man? I bet Nick's got a schedule..................:wink:
    I think it will definitely be a set off and see . I ran round the 3 peaks from Ingleton at the end of March, which is about 28 miles, and ran that at an average moving speed of 5.2 mph http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163237143 and I felt really good at the end of that. I guess that sort of speed is what I'll start the fellsman at..... but I suspect I sure won't be finishing it that way!

I'm hoping to do 18ish give or take an hour all depends how my eating goes with an ulcer that's playing me up. Grouping should be good as it sounds we might all be meeting there. Looking forward to it now its getting nearer. I bet nicks had a schedule for weeks now ;-)