Page 139 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Finally pulled my head out of the sand and am marking up my maps, studying the route and working out which checkpoints have the best veggie tucker Bought my survival bivvy bag and some replacement plasters for my first aid kit. I actually feel something close to excitement as opposed to complete dread now.
    I seem to remember Dent in 2010 had some excellent cheese & onion pasty type things. I'd gone off much too quickly in the first 20 miles and those pasties and a big mug of tea got me going again (briefly). Pasta and tomato sauce at wherever the check is before the climb to Great Knoutberry (sp?) really sorted me out though. Washed down with a brew and a gel. I really enjoyed the second half of the event. Will definitely be doing the Fellsman again at some point. Good luck to all of you next weekend!
    Last edited by Hank; 22-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Breath View Post
    Just to throw a spanner in your works Last year was my 17th Fellsman. I have always previously taken the southern route across Fleet Moss even before they decided to move the Middle Tongue CP for the first time last year.

But last year I decided to go down the road a re-ascend from Deepdale, and I can say that this was MUCH faster, as long as your are prepared to jog the tarmac section - I'm talking about 10 minute/miles. The re-ascent is only a little over 1000 ft and not 1500 ft as previously mentioned so is not that far, and it's over pretty good ground.

You've already done 38 miles when you reach Fleet Moss CP, and it depends how strong you are feeling as to whether you can continue to run across the rough moorland. I think the proof was that I did my fastest ever Fellsman last year.

DB
    Having now had a proper look at the southern crossing of Fleetmoss I can safely say there is no way I'd follow the road to Deepdale and then climb up to the top of Yockenthwaite Moor from there, even though the Middle Tongue CP is now so close to the edge. Compared to the Jeffrey Pot line, the southern crossing, certainly to the top of Deepdale, was really easy going albeit a bit tussocky in places. I'd guess that the road is at least half a mile longer and at least 900 feet more climb (full on climb at that). I take your point about the road being easier to run on but the top felt easyish too. Good luck either way DB
    Last edited by Stolly; 22-04-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Got my sums wrong

just had a proper look myself and memory map made it .7 of a mile longer and agree it looks hell of a climb from the cave ( which is where id imagine you'd come from) i think im going to stick to the moor and take the full fellsman expierence its more in the spirit of it for me. although i am wondering wether to take the southern fence line along fleetmoss edge or the more northern wall cp boundry over the moor, is there any difference ? just spent the afternoon doing the maps and lamminating so like hes a bit happier and reay for the off now :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    Although i am wondering whether to take the southern fence line along fleetmoss edge or the more northern wall cp boundry over the moor, is there any difference ?
    Yes, anything up to a mile of peat groughs and sinking bog water

The northern Jeffrey Pot line goes smack through it all head on, that's all of the gloriously boggy brown bit below, whereas the southern line goes round the much grassier bottom

Just to add my two penn'orth, I'd definitely stick to the southern wall. Even in the dark it's a bit easier to follow - if you start going downhill to your right, you're going off course and need to concentrate! You'll reach a stile that has (or did have) a blue cup tied to it, then it's down and over a gully and onto the open bit where you'll be looking for the check point.
    The old route used to go over that stile but it's out of bounds now, and obviously the checkpoint moved down from the trig to it's new location.
    Good luck with it all of you, mebbe I'll have another crack next year!

Thanks stolly and plodding bear all penn'oths welcome, I've got the southern line marked on the map but the more direct line kept catching my eye , but that's that put to bed then and a bog snorkel avoided
    Shame u won't be there pb, but think of the washing afterward you'll save on :-)

I just found this completely at random saved to my computer at work (from 2009 I think). Although the scale exagerates the height ridiculously it still gives a nice impression of all of the Fellsman peaks to battle round

Thanks for that Stolly!!! A great help..........Not!!!!
    I was in optimistic mode until I saw this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I just found this completely at random saved to my computer at work (from 2009 I think). Although the scale exagerates the height ridiculously it still gives a nice impression of all of the Fellsman peaks to battle round

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q9FlMTwGfJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Absolutely spot on........I knew that bloody wheely bin would have it's uses.

Hhhhhmmmm! That didn't work too well.

Stolly help, how do you embed a youtube video into the forum post