Page 140 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Just to add my two penn'orth, I'd definitely stick to the southern wall. Even in the dark it's a bit easier to follow - if you start going downhill to your right, you're going off course and need to concentrate! You'll reach a stile that has (or did have) a blue cup tied to it, then it's down and over a gully and onto the open bit where you'll be looking for the check point.
    Attached is the actual track I took last year (shown in red), is this the true southern route? I ask because there seems to be an option going south of the tarn which may be drier (which I plotted in blue). Thoughts appreciated.

Attachment 6023

I think Stolly has sadistic tendencies Steampig!

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    Thanks for that Stolly!!! A great help..........Not!!!!
    I was in optimistic mode until I saw this!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

It's the blue route that most would regard as the southern route. Definitely drier and more walkable as a rule!

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    Thanks stolly and plodding bear all penn'oths welcome, I've got the southern line marked on the map but the more direct line kept catching my eye , but that's that put to bed then and a bog snorkel avoided
    I'd appreciate some thoughts on leaving the new Middle Tongue checkpoint. Last year our group just straight lined it on a bearing, bashing over everything in the dark, eventually picking up the wall to the south of the checkpoint. Are there any options?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
    I'd appreciate some thoughts on leaving the new Middle Tongue checkpoint. Last year our group just straight lined it on a bearing, bashing over everything in the dark, eventually picking up the wall to the south of the checkpoint. Are there any options?
    My plan is to head north easterly from the checkpoint passing above the wall that disects the hillside and then either turn slightly more easterly from there or carry on till the west to east fence line above, depending on the going under foot. Ideally I'll then be hooking straight east just after South Grain Tarn to get to the Hell Gap CP. Its a plan that will be pretty easy in clear conditions and a bit/a lot tougher in fog and/or after dark

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    My plan is to head north easterly from the checkpoint passing above the wall that disects the hillside and then either turn slightly more easterly from there or carry on till the west to east fence line above, depending on the going under foot. Ideally I'll then be hooking straight east just after South Grain Tarn to get to the Hell Gap CP. Its a plan that will be pretty easy in clear conditions and a bit/a lot tougher in fog and/or after dark
    I followed a more southerly line last year. Heading due east from the checkpoint, crossing the wall you mention (there is a obvious - subject to visibility - gap) and making for the wall corner at 924 807 (Although I hit it dead on last year, it also should be easy to find in unfavourable conditions, as the line of the NW running wall is continued by a fence (not marked on Harvey map) if I remember correctly). There was a good trod along the NE running wall all the way to the track which is gained maybe 50m south of the CP. Judging from the fact that I overtook a pair who had passed MT ahead of me and who took a more northen line (I assume one similar to yours) this variant appears faster. It certainly sounds like an easier option with respect to navigation.

Seriously bad sprain to ankle yesterday in lakes when orienteering. So bad even had day off work to try RICE. Now multi-coloured and size of small melon
    Not looking good for weeknd. Will be gutted if unable to run but will decide before Thurs eve so someone can have my place if it comes to that

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. That's such bad luck. Really hope it gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Seriously bad sprain to ankle yesterday in lakes when orienteering. So bad even had day off work to try RICE. Now multi-coloured and size of small melon
    Not looking good for weeknd. Will be gutted if unable to run but will decide before Thurs eve so someone can have my place if it comes to that

I've ended up hurting my back...it went whilst I was having my breakfast last Friday and I can only assume it was because I was over enthusiastic at my pilates class the night before. Ironically, it hurts most of the time except when I'm running so I should be fine for the weekend.

bloodyhell were dropping like flies bad luck karen , fingers crossed it goes down and stick aload of pain killers in yer bag hes. my bloody car has f@%$£d up on me and ive had to borrow a little hair dressers car so think ill have set off tom to get there on time will have a look at middle tongue bit