Page 181 of 235 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

It's also worth noting (not that I'm defending anyone or taking sides) that when running in a group in poor weather, unless you're the one at the back it can be quite hard to make sure nobody is dropping behind. It may be that this bloke was struggling coming off the hill and stopped for a moment for some reason and was unable to keep up. If he was hypothermic he may well have got turned around and headed back the wrong way, hence the sudden apparent gap between him and his group. This isn't excusing the fact that the group split, but simply pointing out how fast it could have happened. Without knowing the facts it's difficult to properly judge the situation so it's best left to those in the know. I'm sure DB and team learnt a lesson from it, and thankfully the guy was ok.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I got briefly separated from a group once - the group I was with overtook another, and for some reason I ended up in the middle of that one, thinking it was ours! My own fault, wasn't concentrating and assumed the lights and bodies all around was still my group. Luckily a lass in our group realised what had happened and trotted back the few yards to kick my arse into gear. Could've been a lot worse and shows how easily it can happen with a simple lapse of concentration at the wrong time.

Some very wise, understanding and considered views in those last couple of posts and they are a welcome and refreshing change. My initial report was not very detailed immediately after the event, being tired I could not pen anything remotely coherent. I'm not disputing that our group got split over those 800 or so metres before Capplestone, and I still do not know what really happened to him. The last 5 posts actually show some understanding of the conditions, and the possibilities of things going wrong without being judgemental in any way, which is fine. It is quite likely that one of those scenarios actually occurred. As stated, we have submitted a full report to the organisers which we trust they will take on board making their decision. Whichever way, I fully accept their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbev View Post
    Howdy

I hope you all don't mind me posting on here but I have a question for you.Just a little survey, as some may have noticed, depending on if you got a bus at any time or bumped into us around the course, the drivers wore fancy dress in celebration of this being the 50th Fellsman. Originally this was only for this special event ( which turned out to be more 'special' than expected), however it went down quite well with many entrants and brought a tired smile to most faces. The question is would you like us to do it again, committee allowing.

Thank you, Yeeha
    Bev - you just want an excuse to dress up again! You don't usually ask permission!!!

Here's a thought - would the organisers like the entrants to do it?:w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Here's a thought - would the organisers like the entrants to do it?:w00t:
    Going by the state of what I saw, I thought some of them were in fancy dress !!!
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

.......there will be many people relieved to find out that the costumes were real and not symptoms of hypothermia.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kcr View Post
    Stolly's suggestions raise the question how one should distinguish between 'runners' and 'walkers'?....
    It might be argued that runners tend to go fast and light and so be at greater risk if conditions are poor after dark, whereas walkers will carry more and so be better prepared (and hence less in need of grouping)? Some of the last finishers the year I did it seemed to be carrying enough kit to camp up there for a couple of days

I should think the walkers are less bothered about being grouped as well, as speed is not so important to them. A conundrum - the ones most in need of being grouped (lightly equipped runners) are the most 'anti' it, the ones most likely to be caught out by cancellations are the people most prepared for all eventualities (the walkers).
    Personally, I'd keep the grouping rule, but apply it an hour or so later.

Quote Originally Posted by spacehopper2 View Post
    .......there will be many people relieved to find out that the costumes were real and not symptoms of hypothermia.
    Agreed, I was more than a little worried by being tailed off Blea Moor by a figure with enormous blue hair!