Page 184 of 235 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

First timer; 15:11, well chuffed.

Congrats to Terry B from my grouping who won his Great Knoutberry trophy back, for being first V60.

Not doing again for several years, want to concentrate on getting faster on shorter stuff. Had a great day though, v impressed with organisation.

Not impressed with the walker who joined this forum just to have a pop at the runners but it takes all sorts I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    So guys... how did we all do?

Better or worse than expected? was it your 1st time? will their be a 2nd time? etc etc..........For the record it was my 1st attempt, i had a time of <17hrs in mind and finished up with 18:52.

It was an amazing experience and I learnt a lot, looking forward to having another go next year!!
    Worse.
    I must admit that I was half-hoping that they'd scrap all the results. I agree, it was an amazing experience, if by "amazing" you mean running on empty and feeling sick most of the way round. For the third time in less than a year I vowed I would never go near an event like this again. However, I am already planning my reccies and my race strategy for next year!

Andy A: I quite sympathise with the walker and her "pop" at the runners. They probably get fewer chances to do such long events with so much on-course support. I would imagine most walkers were perfectly well equipped to cope with the prevailing conditions and that it was the relatively scantily clad runners who were causing the organiser's safety concerns. So the walker's view will be that s/he has been deprived by the said runners of completing an event that they were thoroughly capable of completing. In her position I would probably feel aggrieved.
    Last edited by MarkL; 16-05-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: ambiguous grammatical construction

Really enjoyed it bar the wind. I think i was grouped with Karen and a couple of other great fellas which made the event for me. We got round in 16:21, which I was pleased with given the conditions and my navigational hiccup on Gt Wernside...sorry about that folks.

Will definitely be back next year and am already negotiating dates with the wife!

The organisers and volunteers were fantastic and are legends in my eyes, when I was able to see properly again.....

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    First timer; 15:11, well chuffed.

Congrats to Terry B from my grouping who won his Great Knoutberry trophy back, for being first V60.

Not doing again for several years, want to concentrate on getting faster on shorter stuff. Had a great day though, v impressed with organisation.

Not impressed with the walker who joined this forum just to have a pop at the runners but it takes all sorts I guess!
    Having read back through this thread with great interest (and of course impressed with everyone's efforts however far you got) if I've got the right person I think it should be pointed out that the 'walker' in question does a hell of a lot for the fell/LDWA running community - think The Hebden/Moors the Merrier etc....

Hi Irish- yes you were grouped with me, athough we had run 'together' for some time anyway. The grouping certainly made it for me- very friendly and supportive, even when I bonked on Gt Wernside and then was so cold I couldn't undo buckles or function properly. It was over an hour slowe than 2010 for me but with the wind and the dodgy ankle I was not disappointed,
    I'll be back- maybe next year.
    I understand Carole's frustration. There must be walkers who were carrying lots and would have been OK but the organisers did what they felt best and it's their call.

The Fellsman is seriously addictive, but why? I've done lots of big runs but I rank this classic very highly. Strangely, within 5 mins of finishing, I knew I'd be back next year, now come on folks...that never happens does it???

Awesome views all the way round : there wasn't a minute went by without me appreciating it.
    Meeting new folks: sorry if u ran with me and didn't want to chat, I did!
    Tough: you've gotta get summut out of it, some ultras u can blag, u can't on this one
    Atmosphere: never seen an event with this many "friends" helping.
    Good result: making it back for last orders was something I really didn't expect. Pleased despite a blea moor blowup!
    Headwind: ok. Not everything's seriously addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Results are up at the Fellsman website
    I have just noticed but I think they need to relook at their finishers or statistics as they dont marry up.

Finishers listed as 130 (incl names) but statistics state 131 finished - Its only one person but ........ !
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    I think it should be pointed out that the 'walker' in question does a hell of a lot for the fell/LDWA running community - think The Hebden/Moors the Merrier etc....
    Why? How is that relevant?

I coach juniors for my club, I give up my time twice a week, every week to run training sessions for them, it doesn't make my opinions any more important than anyone elses.

I can understand the frustration felt, she probably isn't alone.

What I object to is the inference that the runners were implicitly at fault and were entirely responsible for what happened, based on little evidence whatsoever. These people turned up to attempt a challenge, they wore the mandatory kit as advised by the organisers and some of them were found wanting, as happens in all events. I imagine some walkers, carrying significantly more kit also retired because of the conditions. It's grossly unfair to label them as 'scantily clad' or imply that they were foolhardy. If you think the kit list is inadequate then lobby the organiser to change things.

As I've said before, my two thin base layers and ultralight waterproof were perfectly adequate for a brisk walk/slow jog even exposed on Gt Whernside at around 11.00pm. Carrying more weight would have hampered me for the entire event, slowed my pace and increased the likelihood of exhaustion and retirement.

There will be retirees every year, for a host of different reasons. Looking back over the last five years, a similar proportion of the field have voluntarily retired each time (check out the Fellsman results page) This year, because of the weather conditions, the number of retirees was predicted to increase and tipped things over the edge, prompting the organisers to play it safe; all credit to them for a sensible decision.

I particularly objected to this patronising little gem;

Quote Originally Posted by caroleengel View Post
    Can we all learn and do better next year, please?
    Worthy of the Grump!
    Last edited by AndyA; 17-05-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling, as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Why? How is that relevant?

I can understand the frustration felt, she probably isn't alone.
    The point I was really trying to make (not necessarily very well) was that Carole was not just a 'random' walker with no knowledge of fellrunners who happened across the forum (then again there's no reason for everyone to recognise the name). Yes her words re 'scantily clad' were harsh, and as a co-organiser of a winter challenge which includes plenty of runners I'm sure she would be fully aware of the difference between walkers' and runners' waterproofs/winter gear etc.

Unfortunately given regular niggles I've never been anywhere near fit enough to consider such challenges as the Fellsman so as I said am always impressed with everyone's efforts in taking up the challenge - both runners and walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I have just noticed but I think they need to relook at their finishers or statistics as they dont marry up.

Finishers listed as 130 (incl names) but statistics state 131 finished - Its only one person but ........ !
    Look closer. The 130th position was a joint finish. Two people claimed the coveted last place.