Page 229 of 235 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
    3x100g of milk choc bars..just have to try not to eat it
    now do I do the communal sleeping thing or have an early start on sat...
    I went to get my emergency food yesterday and was surprised that in this day and age of super-sizing, there's very little that comes in a suitable 300g portion size!

I ended up with 3 x 100g chocolate blocks @30p each from Aldi - dark chocolate so i don't feel as guilty about eating them afterwards...

good luck Chris (alfascud) and everyone else who is doing Fellsman this weekend

A bit sad not to be doing Fellsman this year... Found my 300g marzipan block the other day hiding in my box of running "stuff"

Have a great day / night all.

This year there's been very few posts on here about the event, normally it's full of banter and "how to get to" questions. Entries are still available, with guaranteed entry even on the day. Has the event lost its way with this new April start time and route changes?

This year I did not enter, it's too early for me. I know it was moved to April because of landowners requests but what about moving it beyond May, June would be great! Plus it wouldn't clash with the 3 Peaks race.

I do another long event in October with a 500 entry limit that fills up within a few hours of the online entry system going live. Can something be learned from this?

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
    This year there's been very few posts on here about the event, normally it's full of banter and "how to get to" questions. Entries are still available, with guaranteed entry even on the day. Has the event lost its way with this new April start time and route changes?

This year I did not enter, it's too early for me. I know it was moved to April because of landowners requests but what about moving it beyond May, June would be great! Plus it wouldn't clash with the 3 Peaks race.

I do another long event in October with a 500 entry limit that fills up within a few hours of the online entry system going live. Can something be learned from this?

Roger
    I think there's still a pretty sizeable field but I suspect that it does suffer a bit from the 3 Peaks being on the same day. To be honest, having gone through the having to book by breakfast ordeal of the LL100, its nice to feel a bit more relaxed with an entry to the Fellsman. Its quite a tough cookie though and while some come back to the race year on year others will I'm sure be content with just the once

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerM View Post

Roger
    Personally, I've not done it since the change of date, because it clashes with the Highlander and is the weekend before the GL3D - and I alternate between these two events.

But I doubt I'm in any way representative as it's a different sort of event to these.

And the Highland Fling, and the Evesham Ultra ..... Too many events and not enough weekends in the year. Missing the Fellsman this year but I will be back at some point

where to start - an epic, brutal, brilliant, beast of a day out. amazing event. thanks to the Scouts and all volunteers in making this an enjoyable (i think!) day.

Where to start?! Indeed.

I totally agree with barnyc and would add my thanks to all involved in this event for making it so welcoming and safe.

Just such an amazing day, landscapes, running folk and marshalls, and I am eternally grateful I ran the last sections with such professional navigators - it was really lovely meeting Alex and Alex, Deb and Loz were the reason I made it to the end with such meticulous preparation, bearings and pacing - such smooth operators - so many thanks
    a rush and a push and the land is ours

I second the thoughts of Barny and nippersmith. My first Fellsman and we couldn't have asked for better conditions. My feet felt like tenderised steak by the end! I wish I had cut my toenails because then, my shoes wouldn't have felt like they were full of razor blades at the end. Also good to meet Stolly at last after enjoying his blog and pictures for many months. Hope you had a good one.

We were very lucky with our grouping at the end. Really good to meet you Andy, Gary and Ian. Gary, your expert nav, especially over Buckden Pike was a real bonus. I wasn't looking forward to the grouping but I think it topped off what was an excellent day all round.

Finally, I am in awe of the volunteers who were, without exception, happy friendly and on top of their game. I especially don't envy the two guys in sleeping bags on top of Great Whernside who didn't even have the luxury of a tent to keep them warm overnight. Hats off!