Page 29 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Hi

I'd like to join your Fellsman recce this Saturday if that's okay with you all? I sent you a PM about it BritNick

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Sorry you can't make the recce Donkarlo. See you in May for the real thing
    Cheers Nick,

Sorry bad planning there on my part ! Enjoy the recce.

Two of us are also doing a recce of this section on Sat but setting off a bit later . Wiil look out for you

Hi footlesscrow, I'm sure everyone will welcome you; the more the merrier, strength in numbers and all that.

I make it five now:

BritNick
    Stef F
    markdalton99
    saz
    footlesscrow

Meet after 07:30 in the lane near the school for an 08:00 drive up to the carpark at Fleet Moss (SD 860 838). Bank on it taking a good 8 hours - could be more, less would be a bonus cos I need to get across to the Lake District ready for the L100 recce on Sunday. That section took me 8:18 excluding grouping time the last time I did it in 2007. It would be interesting to see how long a recce takes on fresh legs in daylight. Depends how many notes people want to make
    Take plenty of food and drink for a long day. Marmite sandwiches for me

Hi Duracell, where and when are you setting off?

Hey good news! I just got my fellsman manual. Really impressed with the attrition rate on drop outs . 299 starters last year with only 177 finishing! 1964 looks the worst - 21 finishers out of 195 starters

We're setting of from Fleet moss at about 9.15 to go across to Yarnbury-but a bit quicker than you,re planning. Britnick -you know me as marmite man

Also got my handbook -that's whernside on the front is'nt it ? The caption has it as Ingleborough !

Hey Marmite Man! It's great to know who I'm chatting with. I've just made my Marmite and cucumber rolls for the weekend - all six of them.

We've got to drive up to Fleet Moss at 8, so we could be setting off at almost the same time as you. I've got my booklet as well. I think you could be right about Whernside.

Weather forecast is predicting a damp start. You would never think it looking outside now. It should clear up quickly though.

Stolly, I'm amazed at the number of people who don't even make it to the start.

Thanks everybody for the recce last Saturday. It was good to eventually end up as a 'sevensome' with Duracell's group. I might have done the event four times but nothing beats actually seeing it in daylight. I learned a lot. The grotty weather was a bit slower than forecast to clear through but it was so worthwhile doing this.
    Sorry you had to wait for me at the bottom of Great Whernside. I am the proud owner of a leg trophy from when I fell down a hole between the rocks on the summit after our little food break. I'm telling everyone I got mauled by a Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by duracell View Post
    Also got my handbook -that's whernside on the front is'nt it ? The caption has it as Ingleborough !

Glad it wasn't just me who thought that, thought I was a bit sad

I too was mildly irritated by the front cover being labelled Ingleborough

Having finally sat down and read my fellsman manual, I have a few equipment questions as some of the toot we're expected to carry seems a bit odd. Fell shoes sound fine as footwear although I better remember to clean mine as it says they must be in 'first class condition'

On the clothing front it seems I must carry running tights and waterproof leggings (as well as wearing shorts) - is this the case? It then says 'a thick long sleeved sweater or two thin long sleeved sweaters or a fleece' - what the heck do I carry then? If its hot I'll probably run in a vest or T shirt and I was going to carry two long sleeved running tops (not sweaters) too - will that be okay?

It asks me to carry a torch with spare batteries and bulb. It also says single LED torches are not acceptable. I have a petzl myoxp headtorch - surely thats okay or is it single LED?

I have no idea what a 'silva' type compass is but my compass works and is a relatively good one.

300g of emergency food not to be eaten unless in an emergency. Any tips of what to actually carry for this. On the food and drink front, I was going to carry just one water bottle given that there are so many refreshment stops. Do I need to carry much in the way of (non-emergency) snacks?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by Stolly; 15-04-2009 at 08:16 AM.