Page 30 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Single LED headtorches didn't use to be accepted but were certainly accepted last year.

300g chocolate doesn't take up much space in your bag.
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 15-04-2009 at 09:03 AM.

The long tights are for the night stage, one of the rules is that you must wear long trousers in the hours of darkness. I usually just take either two long sleeve running tops or a thicker mid layer depending on conditions, so you should be fine with your kit.

The torch question is a good one, are the LED bulbs in the myo xp changeable, if so then okay with a spare I would guess. If not then I would maybe just clarify with an email to the organisers I am sure it would be acceptable.

By a silva type compass they mean a base plate compass with degrees on the bezel, I think rather than a sighting compass or a thumb compass. So I'm sure you are fine

Emergency food I usually just selotape a few mars bars together enough to weigh 300g not real science to it. You'll be fine with one water bottle, there are plenty of stops to fill up. I usually take some food to supplement refreshment stops, jelly babies and some muesli bars just to eat on the move, but its personal taste really whatever you feel you can eat on the move. You won't need loads but something just to give you a boost.

I know the rules seem a little OTT but the event is run by the scouts and this is typical of scout events, they are catering for a wide range of abilities and exerience so it covers all bases. The majority of the field will be walkers as well so they will not be moving as fast. Any more quiestions I'll be glad to help.

I used a myo last year and it passed muster. My emergency food is marzipan. it's very heavy so packs small and has a very high calorific content.

It's worth carrying extra food for your self esp for the last 15 miles when you really need it esp with going on through the night that may be very cold and wet.

It's worth taking an extra 5 minutes at the CP for night/grouping to eat extra food and shove some in your pack. you will benefit from this in the wee hours

Thanks for the tips guys. Much appreciated.

what do people do about maps, ie, use full map or photocopy/laminate sections and keep full map tucked away. thgt it may be easier to have a4 size maps rather than messing around with full size maps?? dave

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    what do people do about maps, ie, use full map or photocopy/laminate sections and keep full map tucked away. thgt it may be easier to have a4 size maps rather than messing around with full size maps?? dave
    The rules require you to have the full maps - not just copies of sections.

I've got the Harvey Dales South and Dales West maps - they're ideal in that they're quite compact, they are in their own plastic wallets, are waterproof and show all of the details quite well, although they are only 1:40,000 scale.

They are also works of art and just beautiful to look at...... although I doubt I'll appreciate that too much yomping round the fellsman

What about the new(ish) BMC map for the Dales? It's based on Harvey's mapping. I have one at home but I'm fairly sure it covers all of the Fellsman course. I doubt that you'd get a series of waterproof printoffs at the same weight.

Maybe check with the organisers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What about the new(ish) BMC map for the Dales? It's based on Harvey's mapping. I have one at home but I'm fairly sure it covers all of the Fellsman course. I doubt that you'd get a series of waterproof printoffs at the same weight.

Maybe check with the organisers?
    http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/YHBMYDLOC.jpg

Looking at this I think it does. I have previously used the two harveys maps although I quite like the idea of having the rout on A4 sheets as well just for ease of use and leave the full map in my bag. To be honest I don't really use the map much till after the road crossing at Redshaw as the route finding is relatively straight forward till here, but a few sheets showing the route from here might be easier to use than a full map sheet. Harveys maps are plenty clear enough though for the route.

[quote=Donkarlo;214481]http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/YHBMYDLOC.jpg

ive got this one, although it misses out kingsdale-gragareth and a bit to dent i think (im at work so not sure, same with spelling). i was going to use the harveys and a OS for the bit that the harveys doesnt cover, but had wondered about copying to save messing around folding and unfolding etc, obviously id keep original copies in sac, but is it just extra weight?