Page 53 of 235 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Master

Re: Fellsman 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    Had a dream last night about being force fed cake when I wanted to get on with the run.
    That's a coincidence, I had a dream about being forced to keep running when I wanted to stop and eat cake.

got my handbook through too
    Only problem is no free weekends to recee it
    Will have to hope I follow the correct footprints and torches!

Nice picture of Saz on the front of the handbook

Don't forget your spoon everyone !

As its 62 miles would I be right in thinking that most people would be looking at peaking around 40 miles during training? About 2/3 of the total distance?

Is that too much training?

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    As its 62 miles would I be right in thinking that most people would be looking at peaking around 40 miles during training? About 2/3 of the total distance?

That sounds like a good approach, probably what I'd do if I hadn't entered Hardmoors 55, for late March, my longest for this has been 2/3 of distance. In for a penny....

If I remember rightly 40 miles will just get you to Fleet Moss - where the fun really begins

I did the fellsman for the first time last year and my longest prep run was the High Peak Marathon (circa 41 miles but probably nearer 43 using our 'less well known route' on the night ). My training from then was totally messed up though, following a twisted ankle at the Edale Skyline, which I then proceeded to make 10 times worse by going over on it again at the 3 peaks. I had to pull up 4 miles into the 3P and barely ran again until the start of the fellsman!!

All things considered, at the start of last year's fellsman, I therefore felt er... somewhat less than confident of getting round. My twisted ankle was still pretty bad and heavily strapped and trying to run over all the open fell and bogs (and the cobbled monstrosity of a track down into Dent) was a nightmare. On the last hack over Buckden Pike and Great Whernside a team buddy came hugely to my rescue, lending me her walking poles, and that was enough to get me through all the crap up there and I even finished with a fairly strong 3 mile run in along the lane down to Grassington and Threshfield. 18 hours 10 I think.

All in all a long way of saying that if I can do it last year, pretty much anybody can

Link to my slightly over the top write up from last year
    Last edited by Stolly; 04-03-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Good read that, thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. I think!

My longest run in preperation will be the Lyke Wake Walk/Run/Crawl (41 miles?) 4 weeks beforehand. Hoping to do the 3 Peaks on Saturday, but I've got a right stinker of a cold at the moment, so I'm hoping that clears up pronto (the girlfriend taxi/support vehicle doesn't operate on Sundays).
    Geoff Clarke

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post

I am doing the Fellsman and then Marlborugh Downs 33miles on the 15 may followed by LDWA Heart of Scotland 100 on the 29/30th of may, so based on the above it looks as if my training strategy for the 100 may be about right

Great write up on last year Stolly, lasting memory from last year for me is that fantastic rising moon as we crossed Fleet moss

What`s the best route across fleet moss is it straight through? iI have now been over there twice and i really feel i have yet to find the optimum route any pointers would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by JohnK; 04-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

If you subscribe to the Grough web site's mapping tool, thingummybob, (£1.50 per month or thereabouts) you can look up a really good map of the fellsman route. I've only looked at it briefly but their route dips a little south of the straight on, bogs up to the chuff 'oles, route (that I took last year), following a wall line. That I believe is the favoured line.