Page 78 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post

The chill wind only caused me problems when we stopped at the checkpoints and at Park Rash, just before Great Whernside, with the tent opening perfectly positioned to let the howling wind in full on, I nire on froze to death.
    I was lovely and warm before entering the 'refrigerator' checkpoint at Park Rash - it was horrible in there.

Before they set up their checkpoint tent next year they need to get some advice from the guys at the Middle Tongue checkpoint - they managed to place themselves directly in a very sunny spot
    Last edited by andyLJ; 11-05-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyLJ View Post
    And Fleet Moss is very weird landscape...
    It gives me flash backs of the Somme

(That said Fleet Moss is trumped three times over by the peat groughs, gullies and ridges behind frigging Bleaklow in the High Peak)

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Would have been an hour or so faster if it weren't for a minor navigational error on the way to Hell Gap
    Having never run this race before I planned my route on map in some detail before the race but I also suffered a some small errors. After Dent I was running with map in hand and I even knew that a small tumble down building marked that left fork that should take me from the main path towards Blea Moor. However I'd got into my running stride and must have just switched off for a moment and ran straight past. Fortunately the fella who followed me realised the mistake after just a short while and we cut back across.

Later, after Fleet Moss I saw runners ahead of me following the wall at 884820 up the hill ahead of me. My route had me diagonally cutting the corner from this field. I had to work hard to prove my point on this short cut - the line was good but I now know what shake holes are!

But my main navigational error became apparent at Cray. Having last year been greatly rejuvenated in the latter stages of a trail race with two helpings of rice pudding I was looking forward, mug in hand, to similar benefits in this, much harder, race. Of course I was dismayed to learn I'd missed the rice pudding and I would have to retrace my steps across Fleet Moss to get any! Note to self - more annotation required on route map for next year

Well 2 days after the event and my legs feel fairly ok - slightly sore on the quads and knees but nothing too bad - but I would love to find the person who hit my 2 big toes with sledge hammers - they are still very sore from the down hills !
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by andyLJ View Post
    This was just a fantastic race and experience - I loved it!

Though I'm not sure why I feel this way. This was my first Fellsman and it has left me with no quadricep strength whatsoever at a point half way between sitting and standing. So once I'm standing I can't sit down and if I'm down I can't stand up. Is this normal?

I managed to finish in 18:35 which was a bit slower than I'd hoped for. We slowed quite a lot after grouping but congratulations to Tom (a young lad in our group) who was really struggling to walk but managed to run some sections nonetheless. He lost a further 20 minutes in the last 2 miles after the group was disbanded so he must have been really suffering.

I'm new to racing this sort of terrain and I think its the quite sharp descents in places that have destroyed my quads. But what a diversity of landscapes the route takes. The first 3 hills almost had me in tears because of some steep up and down sections. Across the route I found myself hurtling down stony paths and grassy hillsides that I would normally be cautious about walking down. I other places I manage to dip into all the boggy patches that I'd heard had dried out. This must be a tough race in the wet. And Fleet Moss is very weird landscape - again I bet that's tough in the wet.

Looking forward to next year!
    Probably saw you a few times Andy. We did 18:30 I think. Our party of three were grouped with a couple of lads from Ripon and we all seemed fairly evenly matched.

I had a tremendous day and the exhileration of a finishing an event like this still hasn't worn off yet. It was my first time and my two friends who'd each done the Fellsman a few times before told me how lucky I was that Fleet Moss was so dry. Thought the weather was very kind to us after the dark predictions of last week. It did get very chilly though when night came and I find it amazing (and am very grateful) that people are prepared to stand in the freezing cold for hours at exposed checkpoints so the event can go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    It gives me flash backs of the Somme

(That said Fleet Moss is trumped three times over by the peat groughs, gullies and ridges behind frigging Bleaklow in the High Peak)
    been up there today on a Nav assessment and guess what It was snowing!!

Can't believe how good my legs feel, but my toes are killing. Want to race the Burbage Skyline tonight but don't want to look like a jessy running down the Plummet, so I think I might have to give it a miss. The thought of banging my toes up again has brought tears to my eyes. Still can't get The Fellsman out of my mind, I'll be there next year hopefully. Many thanks to everyone who was involved in the organisation they were all fantastic, I didn't see one person who was not smiling, a real credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Probably saw you a few times Andy. We did 18:30 I think. Our party of three were grouped with a couple of lads from Ripon and we all seemed fairly evenly matched.

I had a tremendous day and the exhileration of a finishing an event like this still hasn't worn off yet. It was my first time and my two friends who'd each done the Fellsman a few times before told me how lucky I was that Fleet Moss was so dry. Thought the weather was very kind to us after the dark predictions of last week. It did get very chilly though when night came and I find it amazing (and am very grateful) that people are prepared to stand in the freezing cold for hours at exposed checkpoints so the event can go ahead.
    Congratulations on running this epic and glad that the men in white made it a memorable day for you...
    @jasesteve

Some thoughts from Mark Hartell here:

http://markhartell.blogspot.com/
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

All the helpers were very friendly but the 2 ladies in the tent on Gragareth were particularly chirpy. I owe them a box of milk tray. My pal was in all black gear and the ladies were very dissapointed that he hadn't brought them a box. Well done all check point marshalls for the "encouragement" given wether needed or not.