Page 83 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Master

Re: Fellsman 2010

I was planning on doing it again. But I had an op on my knee last week so realistically I doubt I'll be fit enough in time

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    This is exactly what happened to me last year! Went off too quick over the first climbs, including charging down off Ingleborough and niggling my ITB, and felt like jacking it in by the time I got to Stonehouse. In fact, I'm not sure how or why I even left Stonehouse, but I did, and the second half of the event was much more enjoyable. I'd go as far as saying that I actually felt better at 50 miles than at 20.
    Yes, me too. I felt at my worst on the ridge run after Gragareth and seriously thought that i'd jack it in at Dent. But after a good feed in Dent I felt much better. While it wasn't exactly a breeze after that, I felt a lot more comfortable and never felt I was going to jack from that point.

How much of the Fellsman does the average mere mortal actually run? I'm working on my running, but I'm definitely going to be walking a fair amount of it, especially the uphill bits!

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    How much of the Fellsman does the average mere mortal actually run? I'm working on my running, but I'm definitely going to be walking a fair amount of it, especially the uphill bits!
    I completed it in 18 and a half hours so I'm definitely in the mere mortal category. I walked a fair bit including most of the night section which was for me about 6 and a half hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    This is exactly what happened to me last year! Went off too quick over the first climbs, including charging down off Ingleborough ... and the second half of the event was much more enjoyable. I'd go as far as saying that I actually felt better at 50 miles than at 20.
    For me it was the same as Hank - I went far too quick at the start and this enduced a high level of suffering on the following climbs until Dent. Once past Stonehouse I felt great and there was no suffering at all. The only pain was from being grouped.

I cant do it this year as no pass will be issued by 'her in-doors'.

Training wise I would suggest - time on feet and a couple of good long days with decent climbs.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I completed it in 18 and a half hours so I'm definitely in the mere mortal category. I walked a fair bit including most of the night section which was for me about 6 and a half hours.
    Same for me. I definitely ran more than I should've done early doors and probably less than I could've done in the latter stages, but that's in part down to the night groupings. After suffering in the first half of the event I was conscious of dying again so, although I was feeling much better, I got with a steady group and we had a pretty steady (and enjoyable!) walk through the last 15 miles or so. If you're up to it I reckon after Great Whernside the route is very runnable.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I was planning on doing it again. But I had an op on my knee last week so realistically I doubt I'll be fit enough in time
    Sorry to hear that Toreador... do you think you'll be fit for any MMs later in the year?
    Geoff Clarke

Thats a really good question. I finished in 18 hours and a bit last year and up until Cray (45 miles-ish) I'd guess I'd ran (of a fashion) maybe 30 miles of it to that point. Obviously you can't run the steep ups and the ground itself takes its toll on how and what you might want to define as running. The last 15 miles for 'mere mortals' will be in the dark within a team of 4 and from that point your pace is set by the team and navigation concerns - I found that I could probably run a bit better than my team at that point but they could speed walk much much better than me, meaning that I'd often be walking then trotting to catch up with their walking. 35 to 40 miles running maybe?

And don't lose sight of the fact that the fellsman is also walked and the walkers walk all of the way surprisingly enough.

I'm lucky in that I can get to the 3 Peaks area relatively easily (the price of diesel notwithstanding!) so once I get started I should be able to get some decent hill days in. I was just looking at another site which reckons on walking for about 1/4 to 1/3 of that kind of distance. Obviously it'll depend on the terrain at the time...

Depends what you class as running. the trick is to stay comfortable, run all the bits at a slow pace, it's along way! walk all the climbs and run down all the descents, if you find your self breathing hard you're going too fast. you should be able to chat all the way round. may be run 100 paces walk 100 paces but keep the momentum going. Don't hang around at the road crossings, get some food and keep going, 10 minutes at each feed station will cost you an hour just like that?