Page 90 of 235 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: The Fellsman

Yes, on the plus side it makes me less nervous that I haven't reccied [sp?] any of the route or even received the maps I ordered yet!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    no handrail either unless you cross from Yockenthwaite Moor to the wall South of Cray Tarn then back-track up to the new Hells Gap CP location.
    I can confirm that that's an easy line to follow, as it's the way we went last year after following the wrong wall!

Just looked on satellite, looks easy enough.

wow, that was a bit of a shock! moving the MT checkpoint a few hundred metres doesn't really help in terms of illuminating the areas which we are not supposed to trudge across though. It is still feasible that someone could simply take the 'old route' to MT trig, wander down to the new CP and then go back upto the fence and continue along the 'old route'. Obviously not the most effective route choice, but an option nontheless.

The new CPs give a cuple of route choices which could make it a bit interesting on the day. I for one will be ........ keeping my choice secret :wink:

see everyone on saturday - don't forget your suncream!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    Just looked on satellite, looks easy enough.

made me chuckle - it all looks easy on the satellite/map
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    made me chuckle - it all looks easy on the satellite/map
    Some parts easier than others if you know the ground :wink:

I reckon contouring across to the new MT point, then pretty much the same across to the track, just make sure you stay near the top of the downward sloping bit, with the ground falling away to the right. And count the walls.

Wow, that's a turn-up for the books! It scraps all this talk of picking up the quad bike track.

The new Stake Moss / Hell Gap checkpoint has moved back down a bit closer to when it really used to be Hell Gap. The route up to it would take you closer to the old route. A good option might be to contour around from the new Yockenthwaite Moor CP on the brink of the steeper drop-off to the right and ascend left a little to traverse along the top of the enclosures? (I remember the fun finding the hand gate in this top wall when we used to descend from Middle Tongue to the original Hell Gap checkpoint). Follow the top of the wall to track and turn left a short way up to the CP.

Good luck everybody doing it. I hope the weather remains kind for you. I wish I could be there.

The land encompassed inside the fence around Cray Moss and the south is NT land so if this is out (and this is only a second guess as NT are mentioned as a landowner in the message, but not specifically one that has declined permission) then that could mean a big swing back north to skirt the fence north. Or a marked way through the NT land. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    . It is still feasible that someone could simply take the 'old route' to MT trig, wander down to the new CP and then go back upto the fence and continue along the 'old route'. Obviously not the most effective route choice, but an option nontheless.
    my mistake, didn't read the Fellsman site properly. An area has been made out-of-bounds and a map will be available to view pre-event.
    Adam Speed
    P&B