Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Winter running clothing?

Re: Winter running clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    sometimes it's just too cold for shorts, dear stump

and jess that I am, the main reason I stick the shorts over tights is ... they keep my balls and backside warm!

Mate of mine who I ran Tankys with swore he would never wear just tights again for a winter race cos his arse nearly froze and fell off like an icicle

or an arsicle maybe
    Blimey - must admit, I've never suffered from the cold around those parts!

Too cold for shorts?? I was in my shorts this morning to the station - minus 8 and a foot of snow to contend with - got some very funny looks on the train !!

I must admit to putting on windproof trousers when there's a fiercely cold wind though, and I have occasionally worn my ronsters when I know I'll be out in the cold for a while

Lightbulb Re: Winter running clothing?

COOLING PRODUCES A LOSS IN STRENGTH

Comeau, M. J., & Potteiger, J. A. (1999). The effects of whole body cooling on force production in the quadriceps and hamstrings. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 31(5), Supplement abstract 1516.

The effects of whole body cooling on force production in the quadriceps and hamstring muscles were investigated. Males (N = 10) completed two sets of 10 maximal isokinetic efforts. Ss experienced 40 minutes of cooling at 20, 15, 10, or 5 degrees Celsius between sets.

Force production of both sets of muscles was significantly decreased (~5%) when whole body cooling occured at 10 and 5 degrees Celsius.

Implication. In cold conditions, and after the body has cooled somewhat, an individual exhibits a loss of strength in the region of 5%.

In other words: Keeping your legs warm in winter aids your performance!
    It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys

and jess that I am, the main reason I stick the shorts over tights is ... they keep my balls and backside warm!

Mate of mine who I ran Tankys with swore he would never wear just tights again for a winter race cos his arse nearly froze and fell off like an icicle

or an arsicle maybe
    Thought this might be useful to at least half of us......

COLD CARROTS

Whether you're running, hiking, skiing, or mountaineering, keeping your extremities warm is a crucial part of winter survival. Much attention is paid to various combinations of hats, gloves, mittens, boots and socks but, unfortunately, they all overlook another important extremity, the male appendage.

This is nothing to laugh about; it's quite painful! If you've been unfortunate enough to experience a frozen frankie, you know this is a serious matter. Few other weather-related injuries can make you curl up and beg for death. Of course, this "condition" only makes itself known after you're miles from the trailhead and committed to your route.

There are several solutions to this problem. First, be sure to dress in layers. Start with a pair of tight-fitting briefs or compression shorts to hold your carrot closer to your body. Snugly-pushed-together is much better than hanging-loose because large surface areas transfer heat more rapidly. Next, add lightweight polypropylene underwear and additional layers such as polartec/pile and a windshell as needed. Since most cross-country ski clothing, especially those Euro inspired Lycra body-suits, appears to be more "form" than "function", several manufacturers have begun using a panel of windproof material where it counts. The Helly Hansen company manufactures the "Lifa windbrief", and there is also a popular product called "The Hand" that uses polar fleece for insulation.

As can be expected, there are also many homemade versions of windbriefs. Some have made their own "The Hand" by stitching a rectangle of synthetic fleece into a pair of windshorts. Others have tried using duct tape on the outside of their underwear, taping a square of plastic onto a pair of shorts, and lining an ordinary jockstrap with a piece of synthetic fleece or rabbit skin (furry side in, of course).

In an emergency you'll need to improvise. Your cold carrot can be warmed by stuffing your hood or hat down there, and you can also use an unopened Ziploc bag as a wind block to slip in front of things.

Of course, you could always knit yourself a "willy warmer".
    It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys

Quote Originally Posted by Smut View Post
    In other words: Keeping your legs warm in winter aids your performance!
    I agree, it seems like common knowledge to me anyhow, everyone knows the body shuts down bloodflow to cold areas and how are you supposed to run with no bloodflow to your legs?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

or an arsicle maybe
    Buffalo clothing used to do a windproof pile underpant.
    hmmmmmmmm snug and warm
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 23-12-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    My shorts (over tights) kept my bottom very warm at the weekend and I don't care what anyone says about them!
    Those shorts where potentially the greatest item of clothing ive ever seen on a hill side!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Those shorts where potentially the greatest item of clothing ive ever seen on a hill side!
    Did you see the way the lady in the car driving through Mungrisdale looked at them? It was one of those looks you get when you speed through someone's leafy little village with the tunes up.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Did you see the way the lady in the car driving through Mungrisdale looked at them? It was one of those looks you get when you speed through someone's leafy little village with the tunes up.
    She was just jealous
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Bit strange to comment on a nearly 2 year old thread about winter clothing before the start of summer, and a 3 year old thread on paramo. Anyway welcome to the forum, and lets keep it a little more up to date
    Last edited by The devil's own; 02-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"