Interested in other peoples' views on cartilage injuries.

Had a problem 5-6 years ago and, in my naiveity at the time, went to see a doctor, then a consultant surgeon who immediately suggested an op. Subsequently, some of the cartilage in my right knee was trimmed off.

Have to say it hasn't been marvellous ever since but I cope these days!

Until Friday....2500ft up in the Carneddau and, with my knee bent, I felt something "give" and felt like my knee was slightly locked and wouldn't take any weight.

Thanks to a couple of climbers who were brilliant and stayed with me, a chap who lent me a walking stick and my lovely better half who went ahead to get the car as near as possible, I got down ok albeit slowly.

Now, the question is, what do I do about the injury? Certainly feels like it's settled down and the "locking" and "weakness" has pretty much gone.

Been reading up and I wonder whether I hadn't got some cartilage or some other loose body in the knee joint.

So experiences/advice please .... I'm quite a believer in the sorting itself out given the chance and therefore my instinct is to see if this just "goes away". What are opinions on that? Can a loose body in the knee clear itself? Plan to go to my osteopath anyway .... but very reluctant to see a surgeon who, after all, has a vested interest!!!

Against that, guess I'm a bit nervous about the fact that I do a fair few solo runs out on the fells when training .... and I was reamarkably "lucky" that the knee went whilst out with someone else and while there were others around to help.