Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Wansfell Race

Looking at the splits i've got the same descent time as the first lady, so maybe i didn't do all that badly on balance. I think if i'm going to have a serious crack at my PB i need to stop going the wrong way and also know what's coming on the way down and not be surprised by things all the time. I'd probably have to stay up at Stainmore over xmas and pay a couple of visits to the pike to get familiar with the descent. I'm still not running sub 20 for 5k, so i can expect to be down on V02 for as long as that persists.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Coming down the race descent today I had a look at the route - from the wear on the hillside - that most people seem to have taken when the gradient eases temporarily and the route tends left. I usually go horizontally for a short way before going down and right - almost all on grass so no trip/slip concerns. The popular way descends more abruptly but there are rocks in there so it is dodgy if you do not know it well. I will keep using the higher horizontal path most of the rime.

There's another storm in the forecast for the 28th, rainfall totals averaging 10mm/hr with snow on the tops. I sense cancellation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    There's another storm in the forecast for the 28th, rainfall totals averaging 10mm/hr with snow on the tops. I sense cancellation.
    The race is on the 27th, but yes, the forecast looks pretty grim.

Yes, 27th, and yes, shite.

I'm giving this one the old heave ho. I'd have been running for a post covid pb and that's not going to happen in drenching conditions, the grip won't be there. I'm going to focus on giant's tooth.

Newsflash. Now upgraded to Storm Gerry or something.