Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please help my knee hurts

please help my knee hurts

hiya im new to the forum and ive only been running for about 4 months,i started training and doing triathlons so i bike,swim and run and im very interested in doing some fell running and races etc (the road has started boring me to death) but the last few times ive been running i get a sharp pain in the right hand side of my right knee after about the two mile mark,it started when i was doing a 10k road run and didnt bother me the first time i did a fell run but then its hurt the last cupple of fell runs aswell,ive tried not running or biking for a few days and it still happens,any idvice or help would be greatfully received as i am pretty new to the running

thanks jayc

Re: please help my knee hurts

oh and the pain is every time my knee bends,abit worse when im running down hill

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Without more detail, outside of the knee says ITB straight away for me, but then I was out with it for a large chunk of the year, so probably got it on the brain.

Google it, & search this forum for ITB. Plenty of advice about. However, best tip would be to get to a physio. Even if it is ITB and you pick up tips on treating the symptoms, a physio can help you correct the underlying causes to prevent recurrence.

Welcome to the forum.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jaycmx1 View Post
    hiya im new to the forum and ive only been running for about 4 months,i started training and doing triathlons so i bike,swim and run and im very interested in doing some fell running and races etc (the road has started boring me to death) but the last few times ive been running i get a sharp pain in the right hand side of my right knee after about the two mile mark,it started when i was doing a 10k road run and didnt bother me the first time i did a fell run but then its hurt the last cupple of fell runs aswell,ive tried not running or biking for a few days and it still happens,any idvice or help would be greatfully received as i am pretty new to the running

thanks jayc
    Sounds like you're suffering from what ails me aswell, i've been posting on my 'knee help please' thread for the past 14 weeks or so and you may find something on there that'll be of help. My trouble is with the LCL ligament brought on my natural biomechanics, i overuse my ITB when i run and it transfers the strain to the LCL ligament on the outside of my right knee. Don't continue to run on it if it persists, that's what i did and i'm at the steroid injection stage now, just take it to a physio and pony up the dough if necessary.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator

Good advice above I think. If you tell us where you're based Jay, someone might be able to suggest a good local physio. Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

ITB-type injuries are quite common but can be difficult to get rid of! Prevention is the best cure, and that really comes down to making sure its getting stretched correctly, particularly post-run. You say you are new to running - are you doing any static-stretching (ie the ones where we stand still and pull ourselves into all sorts of daft shapes) when you get back? There is a particular and easy ITB stretch that should help alleviate future issues. You should be able to google it for an accurate description, but it roughly involves (for the right side) putting the right foot across the left whilst standing up, then pushing the right hip outwards. Hold it for about fifteen seconds. As stretches go, you won't really be able to feel much, but it does the job. But please google it first / see a physio / look at a picture, don't put your back out by only following my shabby description!

Hope it clears up soon!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

just got back from work and reading the replys ,thanks for all the advice and info i live in Bacup/Rossendale can anyone suggest a good physio around my area? simgreen i do a few stretches after running but not the one you described but ill start doing it regular,so should i stop running straight away until i see a physio? running was slowly becoming my favourite disciplin in my triathlon training
    ill read through the previous posts of mr brightside etc.
    oh and southern softie was it you i seen in complete runner the other week that recommended the forum?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Aye, that were me! Glad you could make it. Sorry to hear about your problems. Dunno 'bout near you, but not too far away in central Manchester is Jump Physio. Sorted me right out. Best of luck
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jaycmx1 View Post
    just got back from work and reading the replys ,thanks for all the advice and info i live in Bacup/Rossendale can anyone suggest a good physio around my area? simgreen i do a few stretches after running but not the one you described but ill start doing it regular,so should i stop running straight away until i see a physio? running was slowly becoming my favourite disciplin in my triathlon training
    ill read through the previous posts of mr brightside etc.
    oh and southern softie was it you i seen in complete runner the other week that recommended the forum?
    Check out this, if you can get the parts it'll help: http://http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9271&highlight=roller