Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: please help my knee hurts

Re: please help my knee hurts

Try and get a hold of athletics weeky from either last week or the week before ( sorry I can't remember which one) I think it nails this injury like nothing else I have seen. I have had this problem for 3 years before I started working on strengthening by glutes which were the cause of my problem. It is suprising how out of balance your legs can get so have a good look at the single leg exercises which isolate your weak muscles. In the end I got a wobble cushion and do 3 key , single leg , exercises on it to strenghten your glutes and the muscle on the inside of your knee ( Vastus medialis ?) Also, lying on your side doing leg lifts (progressing to using ankle weights ) and the clam exersise using a resistance band. Try standing on one leg on a little trampette while someon throws a foam football ( toys r us !) for you to catch or bounce it off the wall.

I am not too sure what contribution cycling makes to making it worse. I have done a lot of cycling and in my opinion I think it builds up the quads on the oustide but not the VM on the inner. I also think it can make your glutes tight and reduce the work the other stabilisng muscles have to do so making them weaker and causing the ITB to become tense. Google cyclists butt for some comments on that !

Good luck. Since I have got mine under control I am able to run a lot better

Sounds just like my first running injury! It was ITB for me. My GP gave me stretches which worked a treat but I found with more climbing they needed to be a regular feature of post run activities. Hope that's all it is. Oddly enough I took up triathlon training in order to spread the load as has to be careful about aging knees. Might also be worth looking at your foot alignment on your bike if you do a lot in SPDs. Perhaps see you on the fells.

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplover View Post
    Try and get a hold of athletics weeky from either last week or the week before ( sorry I can't remember which one) I think it nails this injury like nothing else I have seen. I have had this problem for 3 years before I started working on strengthening by glutes which were the cause of my problem. It is suprising how out of balance your legs can get so have a good look at the single leg exercises which isolate your weak muscles. In the end I got a wobble cushion and do 3 key , single leg , exercises on it to strenghten your glutes and the muscle on the inside of your knee ( Vastus medialis ?) Also, lying on your side doing leg lifts (progressing to using ankle weights ) and the clam exersise using a resistance band. Try standing on one leg on a little trampette while someon throws a foam football ( toys r us !) for you to catch or bounce it off the wall.

I am not too sure what contribution cycling makes to making it worse. I have done a lot of cycling and in my opinion I think it builds up the quads on the oustide but not the VM on the inner. I also think it can make your glutes tight and reduce the work the other stabilisng muscles have to do so making them weaker and causing the ITB to become tense. Google cyclists butt for some comments on that !

Good luck. Since I have got mine under control I am able to run a lot better

Sheeplover,

Similar to you this thing has been lingering for a few years and mine has been nailed to my glutes being weak and throwing the knee all over the place. It came to light working with the physio doing single leg and double leg squats. My leg pulls inward and he believes this could be causing inbalances and back patella tracking. I have not run at all for four months and been having Physio/Pre-hab on a fortnightly basis in a bid to get rid of this thing once and for all.

Over the last month I have been battering the Clams (with stretch band), Glutes Bridges and plenty of one legged squats.

I too have got a wobble cushion and have been doing the wall bounces. Things have improved a lot, I no longer have knee pain (perhaps sometimes after to many squats with wieghts it will hurt).

I should be ready for a running comeback soon - touch wood.

Glad your getting things sorted see you on a hill somewhere or maybe in Sainsbury's

Jamie

Try building your quads up this will help straighten the knee. Don't do breaststroke when swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by duncz View Post
    Don't do breaststroke when swimming.
    I'm not being a Doubting Thomas or anything but what's the theory behind that? Long story short i suffer from the same...
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

When running you don't use your quad muscles as much and it can cause you to pull the lingaments in the knee. It will not do any harm trying this (tins of beans in oven gloves drapped over ankle and lifts straight lifts when sitting watching telly). I'm not saying this the answer but it may save you paying for a pyhsio. If your knees are sore it's better not to do breaststroke.

Breatstroke affects my knee also, I can feel it clicking when I swim. Front crawl for me all the way

Jamie, gald to hear you are getting back into the running. It just goes to show that once you get the right treatment that recovery is possible. I am not to sure if running on this snow and ice stuff is good for us ITB sufferers, all that twisting over the rutted concrete like ice does not feel right to me. Still, living in the frozen wastes of darwen we have little choice

hi everyone,ive not reply'd untill now because not only is my knee abit knackered but so was my computer,ive been and seen a sports physio which pretty much confirmed what everyone on here has said about my itb being tight but the physio has now told me to see a padiatrist (booked on wednesday) because she said my right sore leg is over average longer than my left leg,she said he will make me some tempory insoles and see how i get on,anyone also had this problem??? oh and thanks for all the advice etc

hi, sorry about the late reply as im new to the forum.
    you say your new to running but are training for triathlons, have you been cycling for a while then ?
    ive read about a knee injury caused by imbalance in the quads due to cycling. you may not even know its there until you start running.
    The injury is identified as patello-femoral malalignment, it maybe worth a bit of research if you've been cycling a few years.
    It can also occure if you jump into your cycling with to much enthusiasm, doing to higher milage to soon for example.

good luck
    Mark