Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Re: Cumbrian Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    more than a bit! I've done it twice and wouldn't be in a hurry to go back again. its high tove that's the worst.
    ...indeed -even in the middle of the 'summer'...the best time for a run up over Walla Crag-Bleaberry-High Seat-High Tove and Armboth is in the middle of a hard cold snap and you can skate across the ice...I like skipping thru the boggy stuff tho, much more fun

-if you loop back via Raven Crag you can pick up six very seldom visited wainwrights in a couple of hours or three too.

Can't access GoFar website which is an arse as it sounds interesting...

Would some kind soul copy and paste the details of the route to me, please, please, please...

It sounds like a Charnley Way type of run i.e. doable in a day, running solo with small pack. Something perhaps for a lovely winters day when there's plenty of clear sky...
    Why walk when you can run.

Wink Re: Cumbrian Traverse

Something perhaps for a lovely winters day when there's plenty of clear sky...[/quote]

dare say it would be but I just did it on a wet and windy saturday. Left my car at Broughton Mills then ran to Keswick before getting the bus back from Keswick to Staveley (picked up the car today).

It was quite a challenge for the first part. I saw no-one from the start to Three Tarns which tells its own story. Sheets of rain for the first 4 hours and the wind was gale force on parts of Coniston range. Saw nothing until descending Great End so took safe way back to esk Hause given that I'd not done direct descent to sty head before. Decided not to take waterproof trousers which was a big mistake. Leggings were a cold sponge in the wind and feet got very cold even in waterproof (sic) socks. Was going to give up at wrynose as I was wet and cold but carried on in hope of a reprieve which did eventually arrive. good job I didn't need my map on latter part as it had dissolved. Cloud lifted on Gable and wind died considerably so afternoon was much better until heavy rain late in the day.

I enjoyed the challenge in the end. Finished in 9hours 19 mins. Would be significantly quicker in decent conditions.

To answer your question, Noor:

Broughton Mills Pub - Great Stickle-stickle pike-caw-brown pike-dow crag-coniston old man-brim fell-swirl how-great carrs-wrynose-cold pike-crinkle crags-bowfell-esk pike-great end-great gable-green gable-brandreth-grey knotts-honister-high spy-maiden moor-catbells-keswick moot hall.

I've one or two more cross lakeland traverses in mind if you're up for it Noor.

Looks like an interesting route. On my to do list I think. Or something very similar.

Well done Tony,

Still got a score to settle with that route after we dropped down that day I tried it with you, will get round to it soon hopefully.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    Looks like an interesting route. On my to do list I think. Or something very similar.
    Its on mine as well
    Bill

Mine too, for 2009. It'll be a busy route.

Dick Courchee is compiling a list of finishers which will be included on the gofar site at the year-end so do register any runs with him (see webpage for email address). It will be updated annually.

This sounds like it might be a bit of fun to have a go at sometime in the next year. I shall have a good look on the map later.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    This sounds like it might be a bit of fun to have a go at sometime in the next year. I shall have a good look on the map later.
    certainly wouldn't be fun today unless you like storm force winds and heavy rain. river is high - river crossing could be fun on the OMM.