Page 325 of 457 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 4563

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    My neighbour who farms the field above us marks nests on his fields with little poles, then he doesn't accidentally run them over in his quad.
    That's brilliant and has cheered me. He's a real custodian of the countryside
    Am Yisrael Chai

My friend's father ( died 25 years ago) was a very gentle, caring old Quaker. He used to mark all the birds' nests in their meadows, with fencing posts; so that they were not destroyed at mowing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    That's brilliant and has cheered me. He's a real custodian of the countryside
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Chiffchaff by the Upper Peak Forest Canal this morning. Two weeks earlier than the past two years.

I'm pretty sure I've just seen a Spotted Fly Catcher at Heysham, close to Morecambe!! Seems extremely early. Anyone any thoughts? Is there a possible similar looking bird? There was no red etc on it to signify Linnet/Redpoll etc. Though the chest sides look very lightly 'blushed'?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Pair of Mandrin ducks on the Wharfe in Otley at the moment. Pretty little things. I agree about the birdlife on the moors. A symphony of curlew, lapwings and oystercatcher with top notes of skylarks.
    Put up a hare last night torching up Beamsley Beacon, didn't have any lurchers luckily.

Super Moderator
    Geoff, we spotted a very showy and vocal chiffchaff near Barden Bridge on Sunday morning. Like yours around two weeks earlier than 'normal'
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Heard my first chiffchaff today, mid Wales. Missus having some good spring moth catches and the new moth trap arrived today, a portable battery operated model so she will be off everywhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Chiffchaff by the Upper Peak Forest Canal this morning. Two weeks earlier than the past two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Geoff, we spotted a very showy and vocal chiffchaff near Barden Bridge on Sunday morning. Like yours around two weeks earlier than 'normal'
    And yesterday's wasn't just a one-off. There were at least 3 three more this morning in different locations, so they've clearly arrived en masse!

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've just seen a Spotted Fly Catcher at Heysham, close to Morecambe!! Seems extremely early. Anyone any thoughts? Is there a possible similar looking bird? There was no red etc on it to signify Linnet/Redpoll etc. Though the chest sides look very lightly 'blushed'?
    Been trying to find more info on this. The only thing I've found is on potential SFC sighting nr Bristol (I think it was). People on RSPB suggesting possible Dunnock, Stonechat(female) or a juvenile. Not convinced by any of those possibilities having looked at photo's.

*edit* Just looked at Chiffchaffs. Do they get streaked on their chests? Having said 'streaked' makes me wonder about it being a 'Spotted' Fly Catcher!? Its a long time since I saw one in the flesh(feather0 so to speak!
    Last edited by that_fjell_guy; 17-03-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Further thinking....
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

over last two days seen in excess of 30 hares plus the usual lapwings, curlew, golden plovers, skylarks and I think a willow warbler, certainly sounded like one but was sheltering in a small tree against the wind. I've seen willow warblers here before so pretty confident..or am I too early?