Page 1399 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 39989912991349138913971398139914001401140914491499 ... LastLast
Results 13,981 to 13,990 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Club night tonight. 6 x 1km reps, 3 were slightly uphill and the other 3 were, unsurprisingly, slightly downhill, with 90secs recovery.

Ran hard throughout, but was slightly off the pace tonight. Whether it was the monster leg press/squat session I did yesterday, on top of Sunday's hill session, on top of Saturdays xc, I don't know. But probably time for a rest day. Possibly another short xc race on Saturday, then a couple of congested weeks of racing, so need to be careful not to run myself into oblivion like I did exactly a year ago.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    As the seasons change, so do the hazards of running through the countryside.

A few weeks ago I was complaining about being slapped in the face by maize leaves (see the "Through the maize" thread). The maize has gone now, but today as I ran through the field where it had been, the field was being ploughed. Fortunately the farmer hadn't yet got to the part of the field that the public footpath crosses; but the next few runs across that field are going to require better terrain-running skills, until the path gets properly established.

However, since nearly all my runs involve at least one section through woodland, the main hazard at this time of year is that all the exposed tree roots and rocks are concealed beneath a layer of fallen leaves. Yes it's ankle-turning time!

One seasonal hazard that hasn't yet appeared is mud. I don't think we have had any significant rain for the last two weeks around here (although I believe it has been wetter further north). Today's run was my fastest for some weeks, partly helped by the dry ground, but it was just one of those random days when I felt really good.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=anthonykay;636425]

However, since nearly all my runs involve at least one section through woodland, the main hazard at this time of year is that all the exposed tree roots and rocks are concealed beneath a layer of fallen leaves. Yes it's ankle-turning time!

QUOTE]

This would be good training for the upcoming Roaches race, where there is a horrible woodland section of this ilk...

No training for me since Tuesday as I've had a heavy cold. But another XC race on the cards tomorrow. Might be a bit of a struggle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    This would be good training for the upcoming Roaches race, where there is a horrible woodland section of this ilk...
    That woodland section on the Roaches race isn't horrible, it's beautiful. One year there had been a light snowfall the previous night, and the trees looked just like a Christmas-card picture.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I was referring to the underfoot conditions, especially when coming down it at speed, rather than the scenic attributes.

Still it won't stop me being there next weekend. It's not my favourite race, but no doubting it's a stern test of stamina, and it's a wonderful little ridge over the Roaches.

You're both right.
    That woodland section is beautiful on the way out and horrible on the way back.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Master
    Beacon Hill today: I don't usually get up there on weekdays, but I didn't manage to get a run at all last weekend. Fortunately I have a lot of flexibility in working hours, and I don't mind doing some work in the evenings if I have had a run during the day; although today I did have a deadline to get back to work which, together with the frustration of not having been running at the weekend, resulted in one of my fastest Beacon Hill runs of recent months.

There were no more than a few spots of rain during the run; when I emerged from the shower after the run, the deluge had started outside!
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Beacon Hill today: I don't usually get up there on weekdays, but I didn't manage to get a run at all last weekend. Fortunately I have a lot of flexibility in working hours, and I don't mind doing some work in the evenings if I have had a run during the day; although today I did have a deadline to get back to work which, together with the frustration of not having been running at the weekend, resulted in one of my fastest Beacon Hill runs of recent months.

There were no more than a few spots of rain during the run; when I emerged from the shower after the run, the deluge had started outside!
    Well done Anthony, nothing like a little bit of angst to get you fired up. Only a short 'report' but really enjoyable to read.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

After a week off due to an extremely painful ear infection (which hasn't yet completely cleared up).... I've got back into it the last couple of days. Started steady with a few short runs and then a tough bike session yesterday, but this morning threw caution to the wind with a 55 min uphill treadmill thrash.

Managed 2750ft which is a good couple of hundred feet off what I would usually hope for from a hard run, but happy enough to know that I should be in decent enough shape for the club night tomorrow (assuming my ears are ok).

All being well I'll be at the Wrekin Wrecker this weekend. I absolutely stunned myself by getting very close to the top 20 in the first Shropshire Winter League race, and this will be the 2nd, so hoping for another decent run to consolidate my position...!

Club night tonight, and despite still feeling a bit ropey, I was determined to try and get through the whole session.

5 x 1 mile with 90secs rest. Got steadily faster for the 1st four reps, then started to feel the pace halfway round the final rep, and lost a bit of ground. But didn't feel too far off the pace in general.

I've been conscripted into the 2nd league xc fixture in December, despite protesting that I've got a Fell Race the following day, so looks like I'll be doubling up for the first time!