Page 1416 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 41691613161366140614141415141614171418142614661516 ... LastLast
Results 14,151 to 14,160 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Simon i sweat like buggery in the gym! Over the weekend, one of my treadmill sessions, afterwards i had to wipe down the treadmill i used, and the one next to mine!

On the climber i use Level 12 as my 'base' pace, and won't go below that, even on a slow and steady session. And for the first 15 minutes or so i didn't go above 12 or 13. But moving into the final 30mins i was holding Level 14 and 15 pretty constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Need to spread the message that this thread is for everyone, including people who do even less training than me.
    Last week managed 23.54 miles and 4,534 feet of climbing, averaging about 11 min miles. Second week since the post-injury return when I've topped 20 miles per week and 4,000 feet. So slow but at least a steady return to the fells and back to the 30 mile a week target! Ankle seems to be holding out, but I'm still not yet opening the throttle so to speak. Haven't stopped using the erg though with x3 weekly 850 calories 'burn-downs' in usually between 50 to 58 mins and each racking up about 13K of rowing. I've been playing around with the force curve and indoor row sessions are also mega sweaty, even with the garage door wide open .
    Am Yisrael Chai

Good to hear you're still hammering out the miles on the rower, Mossdog.

Track session tonight. The scheduled horrible session I mentioned earlier in the thread, didn't materialise, and we had a shorter 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 200, 100.... on paper not too bad, but done at speed it's hard enough. I must admit i felt the full effect of 14000ft of climbing since Friday, and a couple of blisters from new trainers. Very heavy-legged but saw it out. With my own warmup, group warmup, and warm down, totalled up to 7.5 miles.

Super Moderator
    I had two blokes with mops swabbing the decks after my treadmill session in a hotel in Dhaka, Bangladesh a few years ago

Talking of running abroad... I had two separate long-term stays in Thailand, where i was living/training at a Muay Thai gym. Obviously running formed a fair part of training (the acceptable amount for a Thai professional fighter is 10km in the morning and 5km in the afternoon, 6 days a week). Interestingly the Thais run very slowly (i was far and away the fastest runner on the morning runs), and they run to build up strength in the legs, as opposed to running for 'cardio' fitness. Their 'fight' fitness is gained from the 6 hours a day of constant training on pads/bags/sparring/etc.

The first time i went to Phuket, which had the fantastic benefit of being able to run in the jungle. Due to there being pythons/king cobras/etc in the vicinity, i was too scared to actually run 'off road' in the jungle, but there were some fantastic roads up through the Elephant camps. A personal favourite (for anyone who's been) was from the gym in Nai Harn/Rawai, up through the rainforest on the road to the Kata Viewpoint, which has a view of most of the west coast of the island. Beautiful, but incredibly hot work. On one occasion i missed treading on an unidentified snake by about 6 inches. Luckily it had just eaten, by the looks of the lump in it's belly, so it wasn't too bothered by my presence, although it was a good 5-6ft long and i wouldn't have liked to tread on it if it was in a bad mood.

The second time i stayed on a real top ranked gym in inner-city Bangkok. To get to the running 'circuit' (actually a 500m dead straight road which we ran up and down for 10km), we had to climb a ladder over the back wall of the gym, cross the local rubbish tip, then a narrow plank crossing a sewer/canal, onto the road. Due to the heat and humidity, we had to get up at dawn (about 6am) to run before the sun came up. By the time we had done the 10km (about 50 very steady mins for me) the sun had hit the canal, and it absolutely stunk getting back over it. The afternoon run, a more interesting 5km circuit, was in the full heat of the day at 3pm and was torture.

Amusingly considering Thailand is a tropical country, the Thai fighters (hard and fit men) were absolutely petrified of a bit of rain, and as soon as it even started spitting, they legged it back to the safety of the gym with it's tin roof, and regarded me as crazy for continuing to run. Though to be honest the rain is very rarely light over there, it's usually torrential when it comes.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Amusingly considering Thailand is a tropical country, the Thai fighters (hard and fit men) were absolutely petrified of a bit of rain, and as soon as it even started spitting, they legged it back to the safety of the gym with it's tin roof, and regarded me as crazy for continuing to run. Though to be honest the rain is very rarely light over there, it's usually torrential when it comes.
    I have visited Singapore three times (it's my wife's native land). Last time it was around Christmas and New year, which is the wettest part of the year there. I deliberately timed my runs in mid- to late afternoon, when I could usually rely on a heavy downpour. Apart from the problem of water streaming down my face so I could hardly see, it was very pleasant in that heat to be having a shower while I was running, rather than just taking one afterwards.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Today's sweating.
    A hot and sweaty jog from Capel over Siabod and down to Penygwryd. Up miners track to top of Glyder Fach and over nameless peak and Gallt yr Ogof and along to Capel. Seriously close and humid! Fantastic cloud inversion and good to manage a jog despite lack of meniscus. Nothing a dose of paracetamol couldn't handle.

Pete I tend to use level 12 as base pace but then tend to do higher intensity 30 second bursts.

Club night tonight. A shorter session on the grass. 12 x 45secs around a football pitch, with 1 minute recovery between reps. I have good powers of recovery (it's putting it all together in a continuous run which I struggle with!), so I gave it some hammer tonight and strung the group out a bit. Surprising how much a short session can hurt, if you attack it hard. Including a shorter warmup and warm down tonight, total of 4 miles.

Super Moderator
    Tel Aviv to Old Jaffa port and back was a big favourite of mine when I used to visit Israel ten years or so ago

Long walk planned at weekend - min 20 and probably nearer 30 miles

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    2 x100m sprint to the cash point at morrisons when visa debit card couldn't be authorised...... 🙄
    Last edited by PeteS; 01-06-2018 at 08:29 PM.