Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    Come on Graham B what's good at the cinema?
    Oh you little tease...

The last films I saw were Logan Lucky (Soderbergh) and Detroit - neither were perfect but were well worth my time, Detroit (Kathryn Bigelow) was searingly brilliant - and the next film I shall see will be The Death Of Stalin (20th October ) which is directed by Armando Iannucci. But I have an opera, a concert and plays in the next few weeks; and a holiday and books to read and races to run, so I can't be at the movies all the time!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

BR 2049.

Too long, too slow.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    BR 2049.

Too long, too slow.
    That's British Rail for you Simon!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Was wondering around the outer fringes of Freeview looking for a film to gently entertain. Found a channel called Spike showing The Siege. Never heard of it but it had Denzil Washington and Annette Benning so I thought it might be OK.
    What unfolded made my jaw drop. This was released in 1998. It is ridiculously prescient.

If you've not seen it, dial it up and watch. Talk about a blueprint!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The Death of Stalin

Acerbic, hilarious, scatological, prescient...simply brilliant.

I will give a bottle of champagne to anyone who doesn't laugh watching this film (T&C apply).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Do you want my address GB
    For ale I can do most things ��

BR 2049.

Too long, too slow.
    I went to see this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Actually loved that it was slow, felt that gave the whole thing 'space'. Loved the sound track, though as always cinema played it a little too loud. Possibly a bit long but in honesty I never got bored as such. Felt it worked with the original and too a large degree the style fitted too. It would have been easy to just cgi the hell out of it and build a whole new world and style. Maybe I could pick a few holes in the storyline and there was a couple of unanswered questions possibly? But over all a great film!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I know, I know. Stylistically a triumph. Sonically spine tingling. Visually gorgeous. And I'm a 100% fan-boy having got DVD's of most of the original films 'cuts' and the New York Philarmonic soundtrack of the original (because of the issues with Vangelis!). So you can imagine, I was willing to forgive all sorts of things. But, at times, I was sitting there thinking 'Oh, come ON!. I get the point, now GET ON WITH IT!' Not what I expected to feel after all the anticipation. Lingering, loving exposition is one thing, but dragging it out is another.

maybe I need to go see it again?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Well I'm off to see it at an imax cinema this evening which is exceedingly rare for me given the price so it had better not disappoint!

I know, I know. Stylistically a triumph. Sonically spine tingling. Visually gorgeous. And I'm a 100% fan-boy having got DVD's of most of the original films 'cuts' and the New York Philarmonic soundtrack of the original (because of the issues with Vangelis!). So you can imagine, I was willing to forgive all sorts of things. But, at times, I was sitting there thinking 'Oh, come ON!. I get the point, now GET ON WITH IT!' Not what I expected to feel after all the anticipation. Lingering, loving exposition is one thing, but dragging it out is another.

maybe I need to go see it again?

...I do have one small confession....I kind of dozed off at one point only to look up to see the female being 'birthed' from the ceiling in a poly bag!!? So I don't discount your premises entirely. Also my job does have long periods of nothing so maybe I'm more 'in the zone' already!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com