Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramsay round attempt 2015

Ramsay round attempt 2015

Hi all,

I'm planning on attempting a Ramsay Round this June. Help, advice, tips for recces and takers for pacing would be much appreciated.

HB
    pain is weakness leaving the body

I've pm-ed you.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Hi,

I will be having another go late May Bank Holiday Weekend, fingers crossed )

_|_
    ./\.

Hi Adnan
    A mate and I were staying at meanach bothy last weekend and met a couple from Bristol way who had come to support a round, was this yours? If so, how was it? It's the first time I've seen the hills beyond the Ben and ran from Glen Nevis to Sob Bhan then bothy - pretty tough i thought. Did mamores on day two. Any info/advice you have would be much appreciated!
    Mike
    pain is weakness leaving the body

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit botherer View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning on attempting a Ramsay Round this June. Help, advice, tips for recces and takers for pacing would be much appreciated.

HB
    Having a decent weather forecast is of paramount importance. There's no point having a large support team out on the Munros in crap weather, any number of you could suffer too much. I would (did) go with a smaller more flexible support team, and go when the weather gives a good chance. Don't underestimate how cold it can get on those tops at night at anytime of the year. One of the reasons an 11am start CW works well, you will be on the lower hills of leg 3 and on the long run to Sgurr Elide Mor, and getting light/temp rising around binnein mor.

Oh and good luck. It's a fantastic round. The best of the big 3. And when taking everything into account, the toughest.

Hi Mike,

Yes it was Beth and Matt came to support me. I had a go but didn't get round. I managed as far as Binnien Beag. Its tough as you said plus hard to get support and it was still wintery conditions up there. Coming down from Ben was a scene like from Cliffhanger, I was sliding down on the Ice using my axe as a braking system.

The window for better conditions and good support is too little. I have been up there couple of times for recce but always ended up doing so little because of the weather. I still think I have to spend more time on the route to give me a better chance to get round. The worst sections for me were from Anoch Beag to first Corrie, Going up the Easain and up the Squr Elide Mor. The painful bit was hurting my knee coming down to Fersit.

The first and third legs are quite long and its good to break them. I had a friend meeting me at Coire a Bhuic with some water and food, which was very helpful as I was on my own on the first leg. I didn't eat much of what I asked her to bring so maybe have variety of food. Work out what section you want to do in the dark. I started at 2:30am and did Ben in the dark which is straight forward and was happy to do the last couple of Mamores in dark, or you can start early in the morning and do the Bein na Lap, long track section and first couple Mamores in the dark.

The best advise would be to recce the route as much as possible. I have issues with my stomach, I get sick after 8-10 hours and can't eat solid foods. I carried more liquidy foods this time (baby food, lucozade, weetabix drinks) which was good but all sweet, I need to find liquidy savoury foods.

I am pretty busy in June and July but post up here and if I can be free I am happy to help out.

All the best for your attempt.

_|_
    ./\.

Alan: Waiting for you and Will between Binnein Beag and Binnein Mor at 3am was one of the weirder things I've done!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

2 attempts this weekend have been postponed due to the continued bad weather/conditions..

Reccie the way off the Anoachs...it can be a bit gripping. definitely reccie leg 2 and the start in to leg 3, lots of options around there.

Adnan I use boiled potatoes for my savoury food coat in salty butter and they slide down easily

Ian I tried the boiled potatoes too, managed them early on but couldn't face them after the Anoachs. Found them a bit blend, maybe I'll try them with butter/cheese or something interesting. I blame my upbringing for spoiling my taste buds with all the different spices

_|_
    ./\.

I have grated parmesan and salt with my boiled spuds. Lovely! And egg butties on white bread with the crusts cut off go down nicely.

Adnan: I have stomach problems like you. One thing that's helped me is to really cut down on fibre in the 24-48 hrs beforehand.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"