Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee damage

Re: Knee damage

VOMIT.
    I like that.

Great Uncle Bulgaria

A question we have not asked; what was the mechanism of injury? I am curious because some bloke headbutted my left
    knee this morning as he fell to the ground and, obviously, my knee hurts a lot/swollen etc but I am confident of the injury because I understand how it happened.

I was diagnosed as having arthritis in my knee at 40, it was no real surprise to me as my father, Grandfather and brother all suffer from the same problem, the exercise I did to strengthen the knee was almost exactly the same as Drmorris described, see my previous post. My Physio told me whatever you do don’t stop running, it works for me, if I do have to take some time off though other injuries or personal reasons the knee can start to niggle a bit after a couple of months without running.

ATB

Tahr

Go onto YouTube and watch the excerpt from Naylor's run, and listen carefully about the damage he sustained to his knee and how he has managed to carry on after that.... sounds familiar? He is describing what we now refer to Pose or Chi running, funny that a fell runner in the 70s and 80s knew how to adapt himself without the shoe companies telling him what was needed.

NEVER STOP RUNNING!
    If you're not running fast enough, walk instead!!

Silentrunner,
    thanks for the reply, I have the DVD & will look into it
    justbeen told by the consultant that I have arthritis under my kneecap and on the inner side of the joint.
    Basically he told me never to run again and focus on cycling, as any further running will just increase the pain ang ultimatly degenerate the knee.
    I have the option of keyhole surgery to trim the cartilage but he emphasised that there would be no guarantee this would help matters.

I,m absolutly gutted to say the least

Td
    Someone has to bring up the rear

What a load of tosh. What did your orthopaedic surgeon look like? Did he look like he enjoyed sport or was he just giving you a safe answer. If he truly listenend to you, then he would have helped you run, not put you off it and scared the bejesus out of you.

I don't want to knock anyone but you have to keep running, just look after your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Silentrunner,
    justbeen told by the consultant that I have arthritis under my kneecap and on the inner side of the joint.
    Basically he told me never to run again and focus on cycling, as any further running will just increase the pain ang ultimatly degenerate the knee.
    I have the option of keyhole surgery to trim the cartilage but he emphasised that there would be no guarantee this would help matters.
    Td
    Tom's Dad, I have exactly the same problem as you (at least I have the arthritis under my kneecap) and I had arthroscopy about 11 years ago to trim some bits off. Some of the doctors and consultants that I've seen over the years told me not to run (to non-runners that must seem like the bleeding obvious) but I have found I can manage it by still running and, when there's a painful phase, not running but just for a while. In the past 3 or 4 years I've done loads of fell running including (and I'm proud of this) the Three Peaks Race last week.

In my experience: arthroscopy was useful because it showed me the extent of the damage BUT it took some months to recover from this operation. However, if you are having a painful phase, you've a few weeks without running anyway. Glucosamine supplements didn't make any difference to my arthritis (but other people have told me it made a big difference to them). Don't run when it is painful (some painful phases last for months but I've recently had a relatively non-painful phase lasting a few years); use extra cushioned road shoes for road running and add under arch / heel supports to all your shoes (not just running shoes). Don't carry heavy bags (I made the mistake of a long trekking trip to the Himalaya with a heavy rucksack and took months for the pain to subside afterwards). When you do start running again, limit how much distance you do in training - I do the bare minimum to be able to cope with races that I'm planning. Don't run the downhills in training - steep downhills generate the most knee pain for me - so I just 'slow jog' desents except in racing. Avoid fell races with long steep descents - takes ages to recover the knees afterwards. Short fast races and trail races suit me best because they are testing in terms of fitness but limit 'time on feet'. Obviously Three Peaks was an exception and now, 10 days on, I'm still suffering with knee pain and taking very very short runs only (25 mins on the road) and stopping to walk when I feel the knees. I knew this would happen and went ahead anyway - my choice!

Some people are properly unlucky with serious cartilege damage from arthritis that means they definitely can't go running - everyone is different but only you will know how your knees are feeling. Don't be in denial if they hurt, but with a long rest, you might be surprised. Doctors who are also runners have always encouraged me to 'self-manage', including when I fractured my kneecap (the other one). And I understand that you're gutted. I get p*ssed off with mine but I have learned to be pleased with the running that I can do. And in the 11 years since arthroscopy, it hasn't got worse overall - except some phases / bad patches. Maybe my knees will turn out very bad in my 50s or 60s but I've deliberately taken this choice - I'd rather run now and take the risk. Each to their own, but saving my knees for later, and resting through my 40s, didn't seem right.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Good mental attitude Eleanor.

I don't agree with the extra cushioning and arch/heel supports without correct indications, but I agree with your sentiment.

Gus shows a nice (or not!) photo of his knee cap here during keyhole surgery to clean up the knee and he is back running again now
    http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/wordpress/?p=554

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Silentrunner,

Td
    Surely the sudden onset of your pain tells us it is not due to the arthritis seen on your X-ray - these changes will have come on over years/decades, not overnight. You will need to decide for yourself whether you follow your Consultant's advice or not - if it was me I think I would be following the gist of Eleanor's advice.

I am reminded of Denise Park's article in The Fellrunner (Spring 2008) about Maureen Laney's knee - X-rays showed early OA but in fact she had a torn meniscus which was the cause of her pain - and at surgery no sign of arthritis was found.