Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lazy People

Re: Lazy People

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Interesting - I was brought up to think this way too but it is of course 100% subjective with no right or wrong except at the cultural/class level. I do not eat in shops and would prefer it if others didn't. What do the cashiers think about it?
    Cashiers have never had an issue with it. And by definition I'm middle class so I'm not
    sure what point you are trying to make there, presumably that it would only be acceptable to the lower/working class?

And why would you prefer others not to eat in the supermarket? Most supermarkets at busy times have tasting plates etc for people to try and eat products in store at various counters and aisle ends. Do you also have a problem with this?
    Last edited by The devil's own; 17-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conan187 View Post
    Cashiers have never had an issue with it. And by definition I'm middle class so I'm not
    sure what point you are trying to make there, presumably that it would only be acceptable to the lower/working class?

And why would you prefer others not to eat in the supermarket? Most supermarkets at busy times have tasting plates etc for people to try and eat products in store at various counters and aisle ends. Do you also have a problem with this?
    Class is really the wrong word, in terms of upper/middle/lower - that is why I tried to tie it to culture. I was just taught that eating in public is wrong except in certain settings - and I have trouble getting that idea out of my head, even though I know it makes no sense. Presumably your parents ate in a wider range of public places than mine and as a consequence you do not have my hang-up about it. As I have said, there is no right or wrong here, but it is interesting. The cultural diversity seen in the UK is one of the reasons I decided to live here, having come from monocultural Australia.

A better word is tribal!
    Last edited by Mike T; 17-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nippersmith View Post
    Well, I don't know much about criminal law but from wikipedia this seems about right to my mind: The actus reus of theft is usually defined as an unauthorized taking, keeping or using of another's property which must be accompanied by a mens rea of dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use.

So, if you pop a few grapes in your mouth that might be theft, as you aren't going to pay for them are you? But if you offer to pay for the empty wrapper then I don't think that would be stealing, just a case of eat now pay later? I have done that in the past but not for years.
    You (and Wikipedia) are right, basically. Section 1(1) of the Theft Act 1968 states that 'a person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and 'thief' and 'steal' shall be construed accordingly'. So if when you eat it you intend to pay for it, there's no dishonesty and so no theft. Also, if having eaten whatever it is you then decide you're not going to pay for it and leave the shop, you're probably still not going to be guilty of theft, but you will be guilty of the seprate offence of making off without payment.

Right, that's enough legal advice for one day. That'll be £500, plus disbursements.

Bargain.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with eating while shopping, I just find it a bit strange and unneccessary. I would prefer to wait ten minutes till I'm home myself and I don't see any need to do it in the supermarket. You clearly don't think this way so feel free to continue. We're all different mate, that's what the world's all about
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Banned
    People who work very little, run long, and rely on children & family for their lifestyle.

Eating in a supermarket? I am indifferent to that perhaps. Being too bloody lazy to dress yourself to go there, that's something else for me!

Banned
    People who don't work but still think they are entitled to share of the proceeds.
    Life is like a building society, you draw out what you put in.
    No bank loans in real life.

People who constantly moan and groan about every single thing, still think drinking to excess is something to be proud of and blame all their problems on their ex without stopping to wonder whether they might just have had a part to play in it all too.....

And choose to post all that on a fell running forum for some reason

Banned
    Ha ha ha the voice of truth and reason.
    If you care to look this is down the pub��

For the record stolly I do accept 49% of the blame.

Agree too that drinking is not the answer although it helps with the sleep.

I like the chance to reply and thankyou for your observations.