Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    I only know Roclites and Mudclaws, all the rest are confusing and i can't afford em, saving up for a new pair of wellies!
    And there was I thinking it was just me. That's the only running shoe choice I ever make: Roclite or Mudclaw. It'll be Roclite on Saturday. My wellies have got spiders living in them.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Walshes and wave harriers for me. Wellies for walking the dogs (Muckboots, can't beat 'em!)

La Sportiva Crosslites for me. Never road shoes in Calderdale unless there's been a 3-month drought, and there hasn't.

Well, it's going to be 3 years in a row. That forecast had to improve with high pressure being in charge. Take your electrolytes and sweat bands everyone; it's going to be a hot one. :thumbup:

Well done Toyota Crown for being top of the series. I'm 19th and I'll never be that high again either. :closed:

cheers Nick.

OK trail shoes it is

I have to speak up for wellies - at least for BOGTROTTERS. They are quite unlike other wellies - ultra light-weight, flexible, with studded soles that both grip and shed mud. The Scandinavians understand mud. I never bought another walking boot once I discovered them. This winter at one point the mud was so bad, I even tried running in them. They did slow me down (even more than usual) but wading through the puddles in them was a joy. Not for racing in, obviously, but for training, if you have strong legs and live somewhere muddy ...?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I've always found Calderdale and surrounding area muddy. Generally the muddiest place I run regularly. TC - Lincs is probably much like East Yorks, I've come to the conclusion that we don't see the half of the rain that comes across pennines. Last years hike was pretty much the driest run I've done in area, but won't be fooled :wink:

Coincidental.... and quite boring.... but I've just decomissioned and removed a technically ancient server from work Data Centre, called "Calder" (at one time all new builds were named after rivers). Went well, only hope its namesake event does!

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    And there was I thinking it was just me. That's the only running shoe choice I ever make: Roclite or Mudclaw. It'll be Roclite on Saturday. My wellies have got spiders living in them.
    We are not alone then, i have evicted the spiders from my wellies for non-payment of rent but now have a squatter-beetle in the right one! Bloody cellar dwellers:sneaky:
    Keep my Roclites and Mudlcaws down there but nothing lives in them, they're too toxic!
    Last edited by stevefoster; 07-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

Andy if I can manage 6.40 you can probably manage 6.30 as you are now faster than me. Also for the last two years I have gone astray a bit coming up out of Cragg Vale and also a bit of a detour coming off T Pike although did get some good early lines courtesy of Claire K I think. Definately trail shoes but will pack crosslites just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I'm 19th and I'll never be that high again either. :closed:
    I reckon you'll be higher than that after tomorrow Nick. I'm hoping I'll have improved on 75th too!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Well done to Zlod who flew past me at Foulclough Road and won in 5:28. I was reduced to an elderly snail's pace after that and was easily overtaken by Simon B and a couple of others but was fairly happy with my time in the end. The ground was probably about as dry as it gets which was a nice change from the last time I did the event in 2008. Hope to be back again next year.