Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mynd Dragon fell race

it looks like a slightly higher standard this year.
    I wasn't there, but there have been remarks about the quick times this year....

the guy who won is under 23
    That's Jack. He's got fell running genes.
    And has been working hard at getting good.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Another great day out in the Shropshire hills, and despite it looking a bit wet and glum at the start, it was lovely and I was sweltering going up the climbs...

Managed a good start and was 3rd/4th up the first climb, and astonishingly managed to then hold my position for a while. Over the next couple of miles I did slide back to around 10th, but rallied well and got back up to 8th, where I stayed until the end. Although to be honest I was hanging on over the final 10-15 mins and was more,worried about those behind me than catching a couple of guys in front of me...

By far my best ever position, and more important than that my best performance in a race. Managed to knock 12 minutes off last year's time (I had been hoping to knock 5mins off), so was very pleased, but I know there's still improvements and hard work to come. Still lost time on the sharpest descents, although running on the flat tops seemed to be much improved. There's still obviously work to do on my fitness and pace.

We all have people we see in races and compare ourselves against them... today I was hoping to finally finish infront of Mel Price, and we traded places for the first couple of miles, but she's so strong, and where I began to suffer on the final couple of miles, she was so strong and pulled a couple of minutes on me... next time...!

Hello to Mapper (good luck with Pendle Cloughs) and Jtinnion (good luck at the Fellsman)
    How the he'll did you knock off 12 mins from last year? Well done Travs.
    I enjoyed the race again, felt well, but still nursing a niggling ankle. Two past me on each descent but then I passed 5 on each of fhe the climbs (including a dog!), so overall I was better off.
    What a great race, well marshalled and well organised. I'd like to race it in the mist......I'm sure many would go astray which would make for an interesting Strava comparison.
    Hopefully see you all next year. MN.
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    How the he'll did you knock off 12 mins from last year? Well done Travs.
    I enjoyed the race again, felt well, but still nursing a niggling ankle. Two past me on each descent but then I passed 5 on each of fhe the climbs (including a dog!), so overall I was better off.
    What a great race, well marshalled and well organised. I'd like to race it in the mist......I'm sure many would go astray which would make for an interesting Strava comparison.
    Hopefully see you all next year. MN.
    Yes that is a mystery...!

Basically trying to follow the example of better runners. I've worked hard on my fitness, and since last year's race got a solid year of club training behind me. Also since xmas I've made a concerted effort to try and hit 40 miles and 10000ft a week... not always been successful due to injuries, fatigue... although that is mainly to aid me getting round my long distance endeavours.

I guess last year i had the basics of some raw fitness. I fairly haired up the first climb last year, but once over the top i couldn't find my running legs, and struggled until the next stiff climb (Mapper i remember you coming past me on that runnable section after the first climb). That pattern was repeated most of the way round.

This year i probably went up the first climb a minute or two faster (i was joint 3rd at the top), but then i was able to run a lot harder immediately, and held my position a lot better.

Coupled with a bit more speed, and improved descending, made up the rest of the time. I must admit i'd been targeting a 5 minute improvement but was very surprised at 12 mins.

Just need to improve by another 12 mins next year and i'll win the race by a clear 6 minutes.... easy !!!!!!!!

Can still make improvements. obviously fitness can improve again. Descending still needs work... my fall from 4th-8th was pretty much confined to that first steepish descent into the valley. And once up the final stiff climb my running legs were about gone, and i didn't set any records from there to the finish... In fact from the bottom of the final climb to the finish, i went from looking like i could overhaul the two in front of me and finish 6th, to nervously looking behind at the guy behind me (although i suspect if i had really been challenged from behind i could have pushed a bit harder down the final hill).