Page 299 of 458 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 4576

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Highlight on Sunday was a pair of Andean condors (sitting on their egg) and a stuffed grizzly bear in the living room. It is all here in the Cambrian mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Highlight on Sunday was a pair of Andean condors (sitting on their egg) and a stuffed grizzly bear in the living room. It is all here in the Cambrian mountains!
    What's the story behind that, Matt; the Mrs been to the local saleroom and scratched her nose, out of place?

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Sunday we had a "get together" of our red squirrel conservation group, the girl who hosted it is married to a world renowned wildlife conservationist (we had never met him before). When we arrived the house was incredible, filled with animal skulls, skins, heads on walls, stuffed animals, fossil collections - all topped off with a large grizzly bear in the corner of the living room!
    Missus was talking tortoises and he takes her upstairs to 2 stuffed giant tortoises (how do you stuff a tortoise??), I hasten to add that everything is legal.
    He also has some birds - rescued or on loan from zoos - but said for his mid life crisis, instead of a motor bike or sports car he built an aviary and got 2 condors. A male (called Luther aged 35) and a female loaned from different zoos, he spent several years introducing them and eventually they accepted each other and have bred in captivity. Which is quite an achievement. They are big sods and look immensely strong, no way would I go in there with them, they have a riot shield for when they have to go in the pen as Luther can be a bit stroppy

A most fascinating few hours and can't wait to go back and meet him again one day for a proper chat.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

It's posts like the one above that make me glad I come on here!

My weekend's encounter with a Royal Raven

Izzie and Igraine
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    My weekend's encounter with a Royal Raven

Izzie and Igraine
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr
    if they're the ones at Knaresborough we've met them too! Nice pics as always!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Super Moderator
    Third "local" barn owl since Christmas this afternoon, after never seeing one in 11 year
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Loads of Skylarks around the Kinder area over the weekend, plus a few Lapwing and a couple of Curlew (Brown Knoll / Roych Clough)

Yes DT, saw a barn owl at about 5.00pm driving back from Grassington - just before Greenhow. (I'd been out recceing the finish of Fellsman, Deep wet snow on top certainly slowed me down.)Hunting in daylight along a wall. Also seen Tawny owl last week on the Chevin whilst out headtorching - sat in a fork of the tree and let us all have a good look before flying off.
    Up at Upper Barden Reservoir yesterday looking at the Black Headed gull colony and a lot besides. Flock of Golden Plover, first white side then dark as they turn. All the other normal suspects present inc Grey wagtail.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Third "local" barn owl since Christmas this afternoon, after never seeing one in 11 year
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Yes DT, saw a barn owl at about 5.00pm driving back from Grassington - just before Greenhow.
    I saw one while headtorch ing in Cowling last week. Very cute.