Page 125 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Anyone have any idea when the handbooks are being sent out?
    All being well they should have gone out today.

Hey thanks for all the replies

I'm completing (walking) not competing which I think is a good goal for my first time at a big event like this. Its interesting to see what people recommended, it makes sense that it is entirely personal. My problem I guess is the common one of having a busy life and having to fit training inbetween my other commitments.

I shall keep my training up at it's current volume until the week before and then taper off in the week running up to the Fellsman to let my muscles rest, stuffing my face with wholewheat pasta and chips lol

Cheers guys, look forward to seeing you all there. Well, your backs anyway as you zoom off into the distance!

JP

Quote Originally Posted by dmd View Post
    All being well they should have gone out today.
    Any news on the pre-marked special 50 map?

Quote Originally Posted by thedatastream View Post

I'm completing (walking) not competing which I think is a good goal for my first time at a big event like this. Its interesting to see what people recommended, it makes sense that it is entirely personal. My problem I guess is the common one of having a busy life and having to fit training inbetween my other commitments.

I shall keep my training up at it's current volume until the week before and then taper off in the week running up to the Fellsman to let my muscles rest, stuffing my face with wholewheat pasta and chips lol

JP
    You might want to acclimatise your body to getting up very early in time for a 6am kit check, followed by a bus ride to the start (assuming you don't qualify for an Ingleton kit check). So that's many hours of faffing around before you even start. If I had to drive on the day I'd need to get up at 3am, or spend the Friday night in a tent somewhere (guess b+b's will be full by now) and get up at 5.30am. Non of this is very appealing!

Handbook arrived this morning. It's all starting to feel real now!

It says that every entrant will receive a copy of the pre-marked map. I'll still take a set of maps along as well, just in case.

Any tips on emergency food? I'm guessing dense and sealed is best; any advances on malt loaf?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post

Any tips on emergency food? I'm guessing dense and sealed is best; any advances on malt loaf?
    A block of marzipan

Hi there, I've been training quite hard for this but not hard enough due to time constraints and pesky niggles from previous injuries so I am thinking that if I go for it (and I'm having to seriously consider whether I will or not), I'll be completing not competing too although I intend to run as much as I can and walk when I can't run. I did 28m yesterday and my poor old knee did not enjoy it (although the rest of me did ). Got to admit that I'm finding the idea of it overwhelming especially as my running buddy has become superman and really should be enjoying doing the best Fellsman he's ever done and not have to hang back because of me. I may try and solo it and see how that goes Now which way up does the compass go?!

Quote Originally Posted by thedatastream View Post

Cheers guys, look forward to seeing you all there. Well, your backs anyway as you zoom off into the distance!

JP
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I'm not doing it this year but I've done it in the past; a lot of getting your head round the distance is psychological. Just break it down into chunks in your mind, and complete each chunk before worrying about the next bit. Start to Dent is a big chunk, then over Blea Moor to Stonehouse, Stonehouse to Fleet Moss, FM to Cray, and Cray to Yarnbury, after which you're almost home.
    One good 'tactic' we hit on was not to sit down and rest much at the food stops, but just get the food and eat it whilst moving SLOWLY out of the feed stop.
    Good luck with it, everyone who's doing it. It's a shame the start's been messed about but it seems that's not the fault of the organisers, who put on a cracking event every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    It says that every entrant will receive a copy of the pre-marked map. I'll still take a set of maps along as well, just in case.
    Don't get excited just yet, here's the story as of 18th Feb (probably after the handbook went to print).

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    I've had an email exchange with the organisers, concerning the above and they've asked me to circulate the result;

Hi Andy

Yes, the map mentioned on the order form is the custom Fellsman Map.

All entrants must bring full kit as stated in the rules.

IF
    the map is ready in time (it may not be) then on the day entrants can
    decide whether they wish to use the new map or their own, as it may not
    be appropriate for all runners/walkers needs.

Please spread the word that the existence of such a map MUST NOT BE RELIED ON, and ALL ENTRANTS must bring maps as stated in the rules.

I appreciate this is not what you wanted to hear, but these things don't happen overnight.

Best Wishes

Shona Brunskill
    On behalf of the Fellsman Committee

On Feb 17, 2012, Andrew Armstrong <********@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I notice that there's a 'Fellsman Map' listed on the 2012 shop list. Is this the custom map that you were proposing?

Can we order it in advance to collect on the weekend or is it first come first served on the day?

Hopefully not the latter, otherwise there's a risk that i won't have a map on race day!

Please could you let me know what the score is (and maybe blog it on the website so others know as well?)

Thanks,

Andy Armstrong.
    This only really affects the newbies (such as myself) who were hoping to solve their mapping issue with a single map; returning competitors will presumably already have maps of some sort.

It also reinforces the point that this map isn't really intended to replace the official map requirements as listed on the website. That was my misunderstanding of the original concept so apologies if I've accidentally misled anyone there. It would be nice to have a single 'Race' map for to use however I suspect that may not be possible due to lead times etc.
    I've emailed the organiser to find out what the truth as we clearly need to know whether we can expect a free map or need to go out and buy one. Perhaps it's a question dmd can answer.

It could be a serious problem; most entrants will not be reading this thread and reading Suzanne's introduction (in the handbook) could justifiably turn up expecting a map to be waiting for them, for free.

It's too late for me, I've already bought mine thinking we weren't getting one! :angry:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A block of marzipan
    Yep that`s the one i will be bringing my 6 year old block of marzipan with me again.
    The older I get the Faster I was