Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Frog Graham

Thank you all - I have been ticking off Wainwrights with frog's legs and the biggest smile on my face for the last week or so.
    Charmian Heaton

Just heard from the Moot Hall that Paul Wilson has successfully completed his Frog Graham Round in 18hr 39min.

There have been a number of successful rounds lately and Paul becomes the 16th person to complete it.

http://www.froggrahamround.co.uk/roll-of-honour/
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Master
    Obviously buoyancy aids are cheating but I understand that wet suites do provide some assistance. As a very poor swimmer who has some aspirations to do this, what kind of wet suits could people recommend. Do you need a fresh dry wet suit for each swim stage, or can you use the wet one again effectively from the last swim?Also have all successful completers used front crawl, as that really is my weakness. Any advice on the swimming aspects great fully received!

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Do you need a fresh dry wet suit for each swim stage, or can you use the wet one again effectively from the last swim?
    Well, apart from the horror of putting a cold soggy wetsuit back on ....

...there's a cryptic note in the FAQ about biodiversity impact, with a bit of googling I found this page about invasive weed species in Derwentwater and Bass Lake which the conservation people are keen not to have spread into the other lakes. The implication being you ought to either (a) use a different wetsuit etc. for Crummock and Buttermere or at least (b) clean & rinse all kit very thoroughly after exiting the water so you're not carrying any scraps of weed that could regenerate. Be useful if anyone better informed could comment though?

If you jump on the facebook page there is loads of info on there, most are washing the suit in a convenient beck or at Whinlatter en route.

Generally a swimming specific wet suit is best but at least 1 completion was in an Otillo style suit, worn all the way round.

Any stroke will do, and the swims are not excessive TBH, the daunting one is Derwent at the end but this is broken up by 3 islands that reduce the psychological issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Obviously buoyancy aids are cheating but I understand that wet suites do provide some assistance. As a very poor swimmer who has some aspirations to do this, what kind of wet suits could people recommend. Do you need a fresh dry wet suit for each swim stage, or can you use the wet one again effectively from the last swim?Also have all successful completers used front crawl, as that really is my weakness. Any advice on the swimming aspects great fully received!
    Actually, there's not really such a thing as "cheating" in the context of using something that will enhance your safety. So buoyancy aids are absolutely fine for use on the FGR, by that I mean water wings, a Donald Duck rubber ring, pull buoys, foam tubes, kickboards, wetsuits (some have extra buoyancy built in for sinky-legged swimmers), float-bags etc. About the only thing it's been agreed are not in the spirit of the FGR are performance-enhancing tools such as paddles and/or fins.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Glanfield View Post
    If you jump on the facebook page there is loads of info on there, most are washing the suit in a convenient beck or at Whinlatter en route.

Generally a swimming specific wet suit is best but at least 1 completion was in an Otillo style suit, worn all the way round.

Any stroke will do, and the swims are not excessive TBH, the daunting one is Derwent at the end but this is broken up by 3 islands that reduce the psychological issue.
    p.s. Well done on your recent round Jon, fantastic effort
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Super Moderator
    ^ Martyn thanks for clarification re buoyancy aids. As a swimmer who doesn't particularly like swimming this opens up a whole new world for me

One of the many interesting / attractive aspects of the Frog is its relaxed approach to "rules" but focus on safety. Which is obviously not a pop at the BG club on my part

About time I got off my fat lazy arse
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    ^ Martyn thanks for clarification re buoyancy aids. As a swimmer who doesn't particularly like swimming this opens up a whole new world for me

One of the many interesting / attractive aspects of the Frog is its relaxed approach to "rules" but focus on safety. Which is obviously not a pop at the BG club on my part

About time I got off my fat lazy arse
    You have been threatening that for sometime DT. I am 'strongly' considering this next year as it is more relaxed, but I am no swimmer but just have to learn! This year I did Fred Whitton as a brand new cyclist and coped well especially with the climbs, so adding swimming to the repertoire would be a new challenge. To be honest its the run that is likely to be the most problematic as my knees are so bad. I'd be up for a few recce days out swimming and running next spring although the first target is a width of the local pool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Actually, there's not really such a thing as "cheating" in the context of using something that will enhance your safety. So buoyancy aids are absolutely fine for use on the FGR, by that I mean water wings, a Donald Duck rubber ring, pull buoys, foam tubes, kickboards, wetsuits (some have extra buoyancy built in for sinky-legged swimmers), float-bags etc. About the only thing it's been agreed are not in the spirit of the FGR are performance-enhancing tools such as paddles and/or fins.
    Thanks all for advice, its very reassuring.